[bksvol-discuss] Nectar in a Sieve

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- siss52 <siss52@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I've accepted and uploaded Nectar in a Sieve.

From the fact that the library has ordered more
copies, and there is a waiting list for this
particular edition, I suspect that the book may be
required reading in some college courses--and maybe
even high school, since someone reviewing it on Amazon
said she read it in 7th grade.

"This American Library Association Notable Book of
1955 tells the story of a peasant woman [Rukmani] in
India, married as a child bride to a tenant farmer,
working with her husband to wrest a living from land
ravaged by droughts, monsoons, and insects. Through
years of poverty and disaster, she sees one of her
infants die, her daughter become a prostitute, her
sons leave for jobs she distrusts--and somehow she
survives."

It's beautifully written, but I found it one of, if
not *the,* most depressing books I've ever read--of
course I tend to avoid depressing books, so I'm sure
there are others that I haven't read. I'm not left, at
the end, with "Rukmal's compassion," but with a
feeling that the world is so unfair, that there are
haves and have-nots and that have-nots often can do
nothing to change their situations.

Carrie, I can't think of any books that have changed
my life, but if I were younger and read it  it might
have an effect on me. Growing up when I did, during
WWII, seeing all the refugees streaming away from
their towns, anddurng the Civil Rights era, seeing all
the injustices in the South, and reading about tand
seeing, in movies and books, the poverty during the
Depression, and the droughts in the Midwest, I already
have the feelings that this book engenders.