[bksvol-discuss] My comments when I return or reject a book

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Vol Group <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:01:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi gang,

A couple of people have asked questions about my comments lately, so I thought
I'd write to the entire group in case anyone else is confused.

If a proofreader uploads a book to the approval queue and I return it for more
editing, I try to remember to put "To the proofreader" in the comment section.
If the book needs more editing, then the proofreader is the only person who can
supply that editing. The submitter needs to be patient and wait for the
proofreader to make the fixes and upload the book again to the approval queue.
Oh, and I put HOLD FOR proofreader's name in the title of the book so the
proofreader has a chance to make the fixes.

If the errors in the book are such that the proofreader can't fix them (for
example, a page of text is missing), then I'll reject the book. I try to
remember to put "To the submitter" in the comment section, so that the
submitter knows that part or all of the book needs to be rescanned or fixed up
in a major way. There's nothing for the proofreader to do in this case.

In rare cases, the proofreader makes the book worse than the original scan
(like accidentally deleting all of the page breaks). When I see a book like
that, I send the original submission back to the checkout queue, not the
proofreader's version. I always always make a comment that I'm doing this, so
everyone is crystal clear that the proofreader's work has been discarded.
Luckily books like this are few and far between.

A request to submitters: If you possibly can, please put your email address in
the comments section when you submit a book, so the proofreader can contact if
any questions arise. Many submitters already do this, which is great!

A request to proofreaders: Please look at the book history before you check a
book out of the checkout queue and write the submitter's email address down
somewhere, so if you have any questions, you can email the person.

These suggestions are both optional but strongly recommended. Contacting the
submitter with questions is faster and more efficient than going through the
whole upload-return-for-more-editing-reupload-rereturn rigmarole.

Hope this helps! Carrie