[bksvol-discuss] More historical novel recommendations

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:58:05 -0700 (PDT)

I see we have The Far Pavillions, by M. M. Kaye,, one
of my all-time favorite historical novels. I would
describe it as a sweeping and multi-textured novel
about India and the Raj (to use over-used adjectives
but good ones). Not only is it a wonderful story with
good and complex characters but it covers the history
and makes moral judgements as well.

Now I've started reading Trade Winds, which is about
Zanzibar, and its history, which seems to be as good a
story, and I have but haven't read Shadow of the Moon,
also about India during the period known as the Raj.
These are long books, so it would take someone with
patience who likes to scan to scan them. My library
copy of Trade Winds is old and somewhat yellowed--it's
paperback.

Kaye s an excellent writer and these books would be
good additions to the bookshare collection. I'd be
happy to validate Shadow of the Moon; I'd do Trade
Winds but not if I've already read it. smile

Kaye has also written an autobiography.