[bksvol-discuss] Re: May 10 - almost 100 books added

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 02:04:18 -0400

Hi, Jill. Looking back, I can see that my first post sounded like I didn't like NLS very much. I do. I just feel sort of like it's a wall I have to scale. It isn't true, but I felt for awhile as if a door was slammed in my face when I found out about the digital books and then about WebBraille. I think part of the problem is that I live in a somewhat rural part of Georgia. I'm literally 2 miles outside of the district that's served by the Atlanta library. I get my books from a smaller library where the people are very nice but technologically clueless. They were sending me books in a very slow trickle. They finally gave me access to klas.com and just told me to figure it out. (grin) I'm happy with that since I'm getting books more often now. They increased the number of books I can receive now too.

I don't belong to any groups for the blind. Transportation is an issue for me since I don't live near any public transportation. As far as I know, the closest ACB and NFB meetings are in Atlanta. My strategy for now is to watch the NLS web site like a hawk for news about the digital books, and I'm making sure that my local library knows I want a digital unit or access to the digital content as soon as it's available. I'm being polite about it, and I'm working to stay visible without being a pest. (smile) I'm also helping one of their volunteers to learn about using the web and email since he handles their newsletter. He's a charming, elderly gentleman, and I love how he's willing to help out when he could just go fishing instead.

I have a hope for our future, through Bookshare and NLS. I dream of a day when we can decide we want to read something and do it as easily as our sighted peers. That is really what I wanted to say earlier when I was talking about building Bookshare up.

On Friday 5/12/2006 12:45 AM, you wrote:
Monica, Thank you for sharing your experience; it was enlightening. I happen to live in California and get my talking books as fast as i return one. Do you participate in any national organization of the blind in Georgia? It sounds to me like consumers in your state need to get together and demand to be treated like most of the rest of us in other states.