[bksvol-discuss] Re: MS Word Crashes, WAS: Re: Re: Sighted proofer wanted

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 02:14:08 -0600

I don't know about Debby, but I defrag my drives about the same as you. If I've done a whole bunch of large file moves and/or deletes, though, I'll do a defrag right after that.

I don't do a check disk hardly at all, but that's because I'm spoiled by the hardware I've been using. Bad me, but the hard drive is very robust on my ruggedized laptops. If I was using anything else, I'd do it about like you, once a month.

Judy

Valerie Maples wrote:
How often do you defragment and check disk?  When I was a
power user I defragmented often, and checked disk weekly, now
just about once  a week defrag and once a month check disk.

Valerie

On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:51 PM, Debby Franson wrote:

Hi Cindy!

Sometimes I have my browser, either Internet Explorer or
FireFox open or Eudora or OpenBook at the same time as Word,
but sometimes Word is the only app open and I still get
those crashes as often.  It breaks my concentration when I
had to close Word and then open it and the file and find my
place.

I power down my PC every night.

Debby

At 07:21 PM 1/3/2010, Cindy wrote
I use Microsoft Word for the Mac, and it does frequently
crash, usually when I have someyting like my being-scanned
file open and am on the 'Net, too--sometimes when I'm
proofing. I'm also invited to send a report to Apple, but
on my husband's advice, now I don't bother. I just quit
and  reopen the file I was working. Then I can work away
with no problems for quite a while. Lately I've been
quittng Word or Firefox and shutting down the computer
when I'm going to be away from it for a while. It seems to
me that it needs a rest. I seem o h ave fewer problems the
next time I come back to work. My computer is pretty old.

Cindy

Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the collection) and
books-being-scanned list available at sites below

Wish List:
https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Bookshare+Wish+List

Books Being Scanned List:

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
[bksvol-discuss] MS Word Crashes, WAS: Re: Re: Sighted
proofer  wanted To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Date:
Sunday, January 3, 2010, 4:03 PM Hi Jamie and everyone!

This message reminded me of my problem.

Until I joined the volunteer community to proofread, I
had been using MS Word very lightly, since most of my
writing is e-mail rather than word processing.  Every
book I have proofread whether it has been 100 and some
odd pages, in the 200 or 300 range or larger, I can read
for a while and then Word 2000 crashes, I get the offer
saying that Word is not responding and to end the
program, then Dr. Watson offers to have me send an error
report to Microsoft.  Bruce, (my husband) suggested the
file was too big, and to split it up, which was so
inconvenient, so I have done most of my proofreading in
Wordpad and loading it in Word at the end to check for
page breaks and anything that Wordpad can't handle like
that.

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a 3GHz machine with 2GB of
 Ram, I think and Window-Eyes 7.11.

How large a file can MS Word handle comfortably? Has anyone other than Jamie had any kind of crash while proofreading? My computer doesn't crash, though, just Word.

Debby

At 08:43 PM 12/28/2009, Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote
Cindy, I'm wondering if you can work on this one, or
another sighted proofreader? I don't know what is in the
 file but it keeps crashing my computer, like it's too
big or something, but it's only just over 2.5 mb.
CookWise was almost 3 times that big and I didn't have a
problem with that. The one time I did get it to load in
Word I couldn't scroll down and then Word crashed.
It's Copyediting and Proofreading for Dummies

-- Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Who Do I Talk To? by Neta Jackson

Earn cash for answering trivia questions every 3
hours:
<http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497>http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497

See everything I've read this year at:
<http://www.michrxtech.com/books.html>www.michrxtech.com/books.html

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by
AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.722 / Virus Database:
270.14.122/2591 -
Release Date: 12/28/09 13:32:00

-- mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx> -- Enjoy what you have
rather than desiring what you don't have. Just dreaming
about nice things is meaningless; it is like chasing the
wind.--Ecclesiastes 6:9 NLT

'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a
list of available commands, put the word 'help' by
itself in the subject line.

'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a
list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself
in the subject line.

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG -
www.avg.com Version: 9.0.725 / Virus Database:
270.14.124/2598 - Release Date: 01/03/10 03:41:00