[bksvol-discuss] Re: Kitty and Her Sisters

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:15:01 -0500

Hi all,

Not sure what you mean by "strictly British". If you mean British English words used in a book, as in lift for elevator, lory for truck, underground for subway, bubble and squeak, bangers and mashed, etc. Yes, those are all Britishisms. If you post them here, we can probably make sense of them. I've read a fair share of British books, and I'm sure others have too. There are some spelling differences too, e.g. honour for honor, favour for favor, centre for center, etc. Just let us know what's puzzling you.

Hmmm, don't ask me to explain why a "rubber" in British English is an eraser. <grinning> There are some pretty funny stories about the differents.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring