[bksvol-discuss] Kidsreads.com Newsletter - January 2010

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:14:49 -0500

    Sent by: The Book Report Network - KidsReads
Reply to the
sender<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/f?cide=AY9JGwfBAUZn0aldXw>
[image:
Forward to a
friend]<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/raf?ide=AfwhusbSU9gyxmrt7lq-rR162lof>
*Kidsreads.com Newsletter* *January 2010*
*
Quick Links to Features on Kidsreads.com

*Reviews <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAAFWAAOTfw>,
Authors <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAAHgAAOTfw>,
Features <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAAJsAAOTfw>,
Series Books<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAAL5AAOTfw>,
Cool New
Books<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAANWAAOTfw>,
New in
Paperback<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAAPxAAOTfw>
, Books to
Movies<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAATaAAOTfw>
, Coming
Soon<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAAXMAAOTfw>,
Read This Newsletter Online

<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBUAAEAAAZDAAOTfw>
   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBYAAL-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBYAAH-----AAOTfw>   *New
Year, New Reads
*

As I mentioned in our special 2010 ALA Youth Media Awards Newsletter last
week, I had the pleasure of being in Boston last Monday when the American
Library Association (ALA) announced their winners of some of the biggest
book awards of the year. I was so happy to be a part of all the excitement
of the day! If you haven't gotten a chance to see the winners and
honorees<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAHnAAOTfw>,
please take a minute to look over these noteworthy titles. Taking time to
recognize the literary contributions of authors is important in the
fast-paced technological world of today.

Kidsreads.com’s Books into
Movies<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAOGAAOTfw>feature
is spotlighting a buzzworthy new film based on the first
installment<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAQxAAOTfw>of
one of our favorite fantasy adventure series,
*Percy Jackson & the Olympians* by Rick
Riordan<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAUZAAOTfw>.
Hitting theaters on February 12th, *Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The
Lightning
Thief*<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAWdAAOTfw>---
directed by Chris Columbus, who brought us the first two
*Harry Potter* movies --- follows a seemingly ordinary high school student
who discovers he’s the son of a Greek god and finds himself caught up in a
war being fought among the other residents of Mount Olympus. I can say with
confidence that we will be at the theater when this movie opens. My son Cory
is a HUGE Rick Riordan fan, and when we were at *Avatar* and saw the
previews for this, I marked my calendar!

The seventh book in the *Ranger's Apprentice* series, ERAK'S
RANSOM<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAkXAAOTfw>by
John
Flanagan <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAl5AAOTfw>,
is now on sale. Read our
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAn1AAOTfw>,
and check it out at a store near you. There's also a new sequel to the
classic children's tale A LITTLE PRINCESS now available in stores. WISHING
FOR
TOMORROW<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAAwcAAOTfw>by
Hilary McKay is the story of what happened to the girls left behind at
Miss Minchin’s Seminary for Girls after Sara’s departure. Click
here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAA0YAAOTfw>to
read our review, and get started on the book with our
excerpt <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAA2nAAOTfw>.

To kick off the new year, we have two great book giveaways for you. First,
15 lucky readers will win a copy of NOTHING BUT THE
TRUTH<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAA6DAAOTfw>by
Avi <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAA7tAAOTfw>. In
this Newbery Honor book, a classroom incident becomes a nationwide news
story. Read our
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAA_XAAOTfw>and
an
excerpt <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAA-2AAOTfw>,
and check out all the contest details
here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABB_AAOTfw>
.

Our second giveaway is in support of Erin Dionne's THE TOTAL TRAGEDY OF A
GIRL NAMED
HAMLET<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABGIAAOTfw>.
With a name like Hamlet, life is doomed to be anything but average. Read an
excerpt <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABK2AAOTfw>,
and click
here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABMiAAOTfw>for
your chance to win a copy of this hilarious book. By the way, what
does
having a name like Hamlet mean? You never will have a bicycle license plate
with your name on it!

This month, we're featuring a great new adventure title called A WHOLE
NOTHER
STORY<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABSDAAOTfw>by
Dr.
Cuthbert
Soup<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABTsAAOTfw>,
which follows the Cheeseman family as they outsmart some of the world's most
evil villains in hopes of protecting one of Mr. and Mrs. Cheeseman's
precious inventions. To find out more, read our
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABYVAAOTfw>and
an
excerpt <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABZ0AAOTfw>,
and get to know Dr. Cuthbert Soup himself in our
interview<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABcHAAOTfw>.

We're also featuring a great new graphic novel for kids, MISSILE MOUSE: THE
STAR
CRUSHER<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABe0AAOTfw>by
Jake
Parker <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABgoAAOTfw>.
A storyline that follows a butt-kicking, secret agent mouse in space is
brought to life on vividly colored pages. Take a look for yourself in the sneak
peek <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABl6AAOTfw> we
have available, and for more on the book, read our
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABoUAAOTfw>.

Have you read any of the books in the *Dear Dumb Diary* series? We're
spotlighting the newest addition to the series by Jim
Benton<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABtZAAOTfw>,
THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS AREN'T
FOR<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABu2AAOTfw>.
Catch up with Jamie's latest diary entries in our
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABxZAAOTfw>and
excerpt <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAABy1AAOTfw>.

Kathryn
Lasky<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAB2ZAAOTfw>tells
us a story of survival, courage and love in her book, WOLVES
OF THE BEYOND #1: LONE
WOLF<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAB43AAOTfw>.
Read an
excerpt<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAB71AAOTfw>,
as well as our
interview<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAAB9mAAOTfw>with
Kathryn, in which she discusesher plans for the
*Wolves of the Beyond* series.

Also, Black History Month kicks off February 1st, and we have a great roundup
of books <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAACGpAAOTfw>to
celebrate, so make sure you take a look!

As usual, check out our Cool New
Books<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAACKQAAOTfw>and
New
in
Paperback<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAACLxAAOTfw>roundups
and our latest
reviews <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAACNnAAOTfw>---
which include graphic
novel and manhwa
titles<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAACO-AAOTfw>.
And don't forget to vote in our
poll<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAACQ6AAOTfw>about
your school library.

Happy reading!

Carol Fitzgerald for
Kidsreads.com<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBXAAEAACaCAAOTfw>

   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBaAAH-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBaAAL-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBaAAP-----AAOTfw>   *The
2010 ALA Youth Media Awards
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBZAAH-----AAOTfw>

Each year the American Library Association (ALA) honors books and media for
children and teens. Recognized worldwide for the high quality they
represent, ALA
awards<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBZAAEAAADwAAOTfw>---
including the Newbery, Caldecott, Sibert and Coretta Scott King Book
Awards --- guide parents, educators, librarians and others in selecting the
best materials for youth. Selected by committees composed of librarians and
other literature and media experts, the awards encourage original and
creative work in the field of children’s and young adult literature and
media.

 Click here to see this year's winning titles and honor books.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBZAAH-----AAOTfw>

   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBcAAH-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBcAAP-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBcAAL-----AAOTfw>

*Now in Stores: RANGER'S APPRENTICE, Book 7: ERAK'S RANSOM by John Flanagan
*
    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBbAAH-----AAOTfw>

*RANGER’S APPRENTICE, Book 7: ERAK’S
RANSOM<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBbAAEAAABxAAOTfw>by
John Flanagan
*
A few months shy of his graduation from the Ranger Corps, Will is unsure of
what the future holds. Feelings are put on hold, however, as the capture of
the Skandian Oberjarl, Erak, prompt Will and Halt to launch a rescue mission
into the harsh desert region of Arrida. Reviewed by Benjamin Boche.

 Click here to read a review of ERAK’S RANSOM.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBbAAH-----AAOTfw>

   *Now in Stores: WISHING FOR TOMORROW by Hilary McKay
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBdAAH-----AAOTfw>

*WISHING FOR TOMORROW: The Sequel to A Little
Princess<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBdAAEAAABxAAOTfw>by
Hilary McKay
*
A LITTLE PRINCESS, which features the riches-to-rags-to-riches adventures of
Sara Crewe, has been a children’s classic for 100 years. Picking up where
Frances Hodgson Burnett left off, WISHING FOR TOMORROW is the story of what
happened to the girls left behind at Miss Minchin’s Seminary for Girls after
Sara’s departure. Reviewed by Sarah A. Wood.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBdAAEAAAOIAAOTfw>to
read an excerpt from WISHING FOR TOMORROW.

 Click here to read a review of WISHING FOR TOMORROW.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBdAAH-----AAOTfw>

   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBgAAH-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBgAAL-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBgAAP-----AAOTfw>

*Series Feature Update: Redwall by Brian Jacques
*
    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAH-----AAOTfw>*
REDWALL <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAABuAAOTfw>by
Brian Jacques
*For those not in the know, Redwall is a magic place populated by animals.
The book series name comes from Redwall Abbey, the community most of the
characters live in. Author Brian Jacques brings to life these animals in
astounding detail, making each one a true character. But don't think these
books are too sweet. They are actually thrilling action-adventure stories.

Jacques pits the peaceful mice, squirrels and moles who live in the
Mossflower Wood and Redwall Abbey against evil animal villains --- weasels,
foxes, stoats and the like --- who want to take over the Abbey and enslave
its inhabitants. Good guys like Martin the Warrior (a sword-wielding mouse)
triumph against baddies like Cluny the Scourge, a wicked one-eyed rat. Once
you start reading, you'll be addicted to the world of Redwall!

In anticipation of the February 23rd release of THE SABLE
QUEAN<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAULAAOTfw>,
we offer you a sneak peek at this newest *Redwall *adventure and spotlight
the previous three installments of the series, including the new paperback
edition of
DOOMWYTE<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAZEAAOTfw>
.

-HIGH RHULAIN: Read a
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAc0AAOTfw>,
excerpt <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAeqAAOTfw>and
about
the book <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAhCAAOTfw>
.
-EULALIA!: Read a
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAk9AAOTfw>,
excerpt <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAmWAAOTfw>and
about
the book <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAn7AAOTfw>
.
-DOOMWYTE: Read a
review<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAArSAAOTfw>and
about
the book <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAtLAAOTfw>
.
-THE SABLE QUEAN: Read an
excerpt<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAvuAAOTfw>and
about
the book <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAEAAAxwAAOTfw>
.

 Click here to read our *Redwall* series feature.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBfAAH-----AAOTfw>

   *New Special Feature and Giveaway: NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH by Avi
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAH-----AAOTfw>

A ninth-grader's suspension for singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" during
homeroom becomes a national news story in this 1992 Newbery Honor Book that
addresses themes of freedom, patriotism and respect.

For your chance to learn more about the hum that was heard around the world,
Kidsreads.com is giving away 15
copies<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAEAAAHpAAOTfw>of
NOTHING
BUT THE
TRUTH<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAEAAAJqAAOTfw>by
Avi, which is now available in a new paperback edition.

*NOTHING BUT THE
TRUTH<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAEAAAOQAAOTfw>by
**Avi*
Ninth-grader Philip Malloy has one thing on his mind: running. When a
failing English grade keeps him from joining the track team, he believes his
teacher, Mrs. Narwin, has it in for him. One morning during announcements,
he disregards the school’s policy of observing the “The Star-Spangled
Banner” in respectful silence and hums along, hoping to get transferred out
of her class. Little does he know that his minor infraction will make him
the subject of national media attention. What truly happened that morning in
Mrs. Narwin's class? Examine the events and reach your own conclusion. But
--- can you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAEAAAgGAAOTfw>to
read a review of NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAEAAAjPAAOTfw>to
read an excerpt from NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAEAAAloAAOTfw>to
read Avi’s bio.

 Click here for all the contest details.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBhAAH-----AAOTfw>

   *Win a Copy of THE TOTAL TRAGEDY OF A GIRL NAMED HAMLET by Erin Dionne
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBjAAH-----AAOTfw>

Kidsreads.com is giving away 15
copies<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBjAAEAAABnAAOTfw>of
THE
TOTAL TRAGEDY OF A GIRL NAMED
HAMLET<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBjAAEAAADkAAOTfw>,
Erin Dionne’s second novel. This humorous, Shakespearean-inspired tale
follows Hamlet, an eighth grader who yearns for a simple, normal life. But
with a name like Hamlet, life is doomed to be anything but average.

*THE TOTAL TRAGEDY OF A GIRL NAMED
HAMLET<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBjAAEAAALFAAOTfw>by
Erin Dionne
*
Hamlet Kennedy just wants to be your average, happy, vanilla eighth grader.
But with Shakespearean scholar parents who dress in Elizabethan regalia and
generally go about in public as if it were the 16th century, that’s not
terribly easy. It gets worse when they decide that Hamlet’s genius
seven-year-old sister will attend middle school with her --- and even worse
when the Shakespeare project is announced and her sister is named the new
math tutor. By the time an in-class recitation reveals that our heroine is
an extraordinary Shakespearean actress, Hamlet can no longer hide from the
fact that she --- like her family --- is anything *but* average.

In a novel every bit as funny as her debut, Erin Dionne has created another
eighth grader whose situation is utterly unique --- but whose foibles and
farces will resound with every girl currently suffering through middle
school.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBjAAEAAAiXAAOTfw>to
read an excerpt from THE
TOTAL TRAGEDY OF A GIRL NAMED HAMLET.
-Visit Erin Dionne’s official website,
www.erindionne.com<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBjAAEAAAorAAOTfw>
.

 Click here for all the contest details.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBjAAH-----AAOTfw>

   *New Special Feature: A WHOLE NOTHER STORY by Dr. Cuthbert Soup
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAH-----AAOTfw>

In this
interview<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAABkAAOTfw>with
Kidsreads.com's Melanie Smith, Dr.
Cuthbert
Soup<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAADvAAOTfw>---
author and narrator of A
WHOLE NOTHER
STORY<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAAFwAAOTfw>---
recounts the series of events that inspired him to chronicle the
madcap
adventures of Ethan Cheeseman and his children, and discusses the
similarities between his own family and the characters in his debut. He also
shares his thoughts on nurturing creativity in young minds, names a few of
his favorite humor writers, and muses on the possibility of carrying on the
Cheesemans' story in several sequels.

*A WHOLE NOTHER
STORY<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAAP5AAOTfw>by
Dr. Cuthbert Soup
*
In a story that’s like no other, you will meet: three attractive, polite,
relatively odor-free children, a psychic hairless dog, top secret government
agents, international superspies (one of whom happens to be a chimpanzee),
corporate villains, a cowboy poet, various members of a traveling circus,
and, of course, a sock puppet named Steve.

The Cheesemans are a family on the run. Mr. Cheeseman and his late wife
invented a device so powerful and totally unique that all sorts of evildoers
want to get their greedy hands on it. Mr. Cheeseman and his three children
must keep their identities secret and stay one step ahead of the villains as
they run from town to town, escape dangerous situations, and even change
their names. Luckily, though they may not have the names they were born
with, they do have their smarts --- and quite a bit of good luck. The
Cheesemans are about to encounter a bunch of unusual but helpful characters,
some of whom are far more than they appear to be.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAAnYAAOTfw>to
read an excerpt from A WHOLE NOTHER STORY.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAAqsAAOTfw>to
read our interview with Dr. Cuthbert Soup.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAAuEAAOTfw>to
read Dr. Cuthbert Soup’s bio.
-Visit the book’s official website,
www.awholenotherbook.com<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAEAAAyyAAOTfw>
.

 Click here to read a review of A WHOLE NOTHER STORY.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBlAAH-----AAOTfw>

   *New Special Feature: DEAR DUMB DIARY #9: THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS AREN'T FOR
by Jim Benton*
    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBnAAH-----AAOTfw>

*DEAR DUMB DIARY #9: THAT’S WHAT FRIENDS AREN’T
FOR<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBnAAEAAAE9AAOTfw>by
Jim Benton
*
Making new friends is hard. How can you tell which ones will always be there
for you, doing what you tell them, and giving you junk?

Jamie Kelly and BFF Isabella have finally decided that Angeline might not be
*totally* terrible. She might even be OK to hang out with now and then. But
in a group of three, someone is always the odd girl out….

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBnAAEAAARnAAOTfw>to
read an excerpt from THAT’S
WHAT FRIENDS AREN’T FOR.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBnAAEAAAYVAAOTfw>to
read Jim
Benton’s bio.

Click here to read a review of THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS AREN'T FOR.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBnAAH-----AAOTfw>

   *New Special Feature: MISSILE MOUSE: THE STAR CRUSHER written and
illustrated by Jake Parker
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBpAAH-----AAOTfw>

*MISSILE MOUSE: THE STAR
CRUSHER<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBpAAEAAABxAAOTfw>written
and illustrated by Jake Parker
*
Missile Mouse, a secret agent for the Galactic Security Agency, is a risk
taker and a rule breaker, which is why he’s in hot water at GSA
headquarters. Then RIP, the Rogue Imperium of Planets, kidnaps a scientist
who knows about the Star Crusher, a doomsday machine capable of destroying
the entire universe.

Time to let loose the mouse!

Missile Mouse battles giant space slugs, corrupt agents, killer bugs, and a
pair of shark-headed thugs to save the day (and the scientist!).

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBpAAEAAASmAAOTfw>to
look inside MISSILE MOUSE: THE STAR CRUSHER.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBpAAEAAAVAAAOTfw>to
read Jake Parker’s bio.

 Click here to read a review of MISSILE MOUSE: THE STAR CRUSHER.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQBpAAH-----AAOTfw>

   *Special Feature: WOLVES OF THE BEYOND #1: LONE WOLF by Kathryn Lasky
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAH-----AAOTfw>

Kathryn
Lasky<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAEAAABWAAOTfw>is
the author of over 100 books for children, teens and adults, most
notably
the 15-part *Guardians of Ga'Hoole* series, as well as installments of *Dear
America* and *The* *Royal Diaries*. In this
interview<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAEAAAI_AAOTfw>with
Kidsreads.com's Donna Volkenannt, Lasky discusses her latest novel,
LONE
WOLF <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAEAAALuAAOTfw> ---
the first chapter of a new series called* Wolves of the Beyond* --- and the
surprising amount of research and attention to detail needed in order to
write this fantasy story. She also gives some insight into her writing
process, explains why she would prefer that her work provide a sense of
validation for her readers rather than send them messages, and shares
details about an upcoming film based on the* Ga'Hoole* series.

*WOLVES OF THE BEYOND #1: LONE
WOLF<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAEAAAXaAAOTfw>by
Kathryn Lasky
*
A wolf mother has given birth, but the warm bundle snuffling next to her
brings only anguish. The pup, otherwise healthy, has a twisted leg, and the
mother knows what the harsh code of the pack demands. Her pup will be taken
from her and abandoned on a desolate hill. The pack cannot have weakness ---
the wolf mother knows that her pup is condemned to die.

But alone in the wilderness, the pup, Faolan, does not perish. This is his
story --- a story of survival, of courage, and of love triumphant. This is
Faolan's story, the wolf pup who rose up to change forever the Wolves of the
Beyond.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAEAAAn4AAOTfw>to
read an excerpt from LONE WOLF.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAEAAArBAAOTfw>to
read our interview with Kathryn Lasky.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAEAAAtZAAOTfw>to
read Kathryn Lasky’s bio.

 Click here to read a review of LONE WOLF.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDPAAH-----AAOTfw>

   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDSAAP-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDSAAL-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDSAAH-----AAOTfw>
*Celebrating
Black History Month
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDRAAH-----AAOTfw>Every
February, our nation comes together to recognize the contributions of and
the hardships endured by the black community. Throughout the decades,
African Americans have been able to rise above the many obstacles presented
before them, and through it all, they have given the world such gifts as the
wisdom of Martin Luther King, Jr., the courage of Rosa Parks and the
leadership of Barack Obama. We encourage you to celebrate Black History
Month with these inspirational
stories<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDRAAEAAAIgAAOTfw>from
near and far, past and present, fiction and nonfiction. But no matter
the time or place, each story will leave you pondering a deep message about
overcoming adversity, pride in one’s self, and doing what you know is right.

 Click here to see our roundup of books celebrating Black History Month.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDRAAH-----AAOTfw>

   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDUAAL-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDUAAH-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDUAAP-----AAOTfw>   *Cool
New Books for January
*    <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDTAAH-----AAOTfw>

January’s roundup of Cool New
Books<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDTAAEAAABxAAOTfw>includes
WISHING FOR TOMORROW, Hilary McKay’s magical, long-awaited sequel
to the beloved classic A LITTLE PRINCESS; ERAK’S RANSOM, the seventh
installment in John Flanagan’s Ranger’s Apprentice fantasy/adventure series;
A MILLION SHADES OF GRAY, Newbery Medal winner Cynthia Kadohata’s novel
about a boy and his elephant who escape into the jungle when the Viet Cong
attack his village immediately after the Vietnam War; COSMIC by Frank
Cottrell Boyce, a funny and touching story of the many ways in which
grown-upness is truly wasted on grown-ups; and CALAMITY JACK, a follow-up to
Shannon and Dean Hale’s RAPUNZEL’S REVENGE, in which Jack (with the help of
Rapunzel and her trusty braids) attempts to free his beloved city of Shyport
from a crew of enormous Ant-People who have been terrorizing the
townspeople.

 Click here to read our Cool New Books feature for January.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDTAAH-----AAOTfw>

   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDWAAP-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDWAAH-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDWAAL-----AAOTfw>
*January's
New in Paperback Roundup
*
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDVAAH-----AAOTfw>January’s
roundup of New in
Paperback<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDVAAEAAABuAAOTfw>titles
includes CHAINS, Laurie Halse Anderson's compelling examination of
the very different implications of freedom and loyalty for slaves during the
American Revolution; DOOMWYTE by Brian Jacques, a thrilling tale from
Redwall featuring a hunt for long-lost treasure; SEEKERS #2: GREAT BEAR
LAKE, the second installment in Erin Hunter’s bestselling bear fantasy
series; THE UNDERNEATH by Kathi Appelt, the 2008 National Book Award
finalist about the unlikely friendship between an abandoned calico cat and a
chained-up, abused hound dog; and SASSY: LITTLE SISTER IS NOT MY NAME!,
Sharon M. Draper’s middle-grade girl book debut that features an
unforgettable heroine, a loving family, a diverse cast of teachers, friends
and neighbors --- and a little magic.

 Click here to see what’s New in Paperback for January.
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDVAAH-----AAOTfw>

   <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDYAAH-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDYAAP-----AAOTfw>
<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDYAAL-----AAOTfw>   *This
Month's Reviews
*

*Kidsreads.com Reviews:*

*STEEL TRAPP: THE
ACADEMY<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAAAElAAOTfw>by
Ridley Pearson
*
Steven "Steel" Trapp has been placed in an East Coast boarding school for
gifted kids by his FBI agent father. He soon discovers that there's a clubby
element of the faculty and upper classmen that is very secretive and
protective. To his surprise, his friend Kaleigh arrives to board at the
school, and it isn't long before the two realize that this is not your
normal boarding school. Reviewed by Chris Shanley-Dillman.*
*

*A MILLION SHADES OF
GRAY<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAAATSAAOTfw>by
Cynthia Kadohata
*
Cynthia Kadohata, author of the Newbery Medal-winning novel KIRA-KIRA,
returns with a well-researched, emotionally harrowing exploration of what
happened in Vietnam after the American troops pulled out. Reviewed by Norah
Piehl.

*THE GECKO & STICKY: SINISTER
SUBSTITUTE<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAAAf2AAOTfw>written
by Wendelin Van Draanen and illustrated by Stephen Gilpin
*
Seventh-grader Dave Sanchez is thrilled when his strict science teacher, Ms.
Veronica Krockle, is uncharacteristically absent on frog-dissecting day. She
has been replaced by nattily dressed substitute teacher Dr. Schwarz, who is
funny and cool. But after he shows an unusual interest in finding out which
students own geckos, Dave gets suspicious. Reviewed by Donna Volkenannt.

*RICH: A Dyamonde Daniel
Book<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAAAw7AAOTfw>written
by Nikki Grimes and illustrated by R. Gregory Christie
*
Dyamonde Daniel is excited about the local library’s poetry contest, and so
is her friend Free. The prize is $100 --- just think what they could buy
with that much money! But when they find out that Damaris, one of their
classmates, has been living in a homeless shelter, their ideas about what it
means to be rich or poor start to change. Reviewed by Christine M. Irvin.

*GREEN <http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAABAxAAOTfw>by
Laura Peyton Roberts
*
Laura Peyton Roberts’s latest novel is a sweet and original exploration of
growing up and being true to yourself. There is plenty of adventure and
wisdom in these pages, as 13-year-old Lily goes to the land of the
leprechauns and tries to understand the birthright she has inherited and the
position she is being asked to earn. Reviewed by Sarah Rachel Egelman.

*THE EVER
BREATH<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAABMQAAOTfw>by
Julianna Baggott
*
Truman and his twin sister, Camille, have just met their grandmother...and
she’s a little strange. She whispers a tale about something called the Ever
Breath, an amber orb that maintains the balance between our world and a
dreamy one of imagination --- and evil. Soon Truman and Camille find
themselves in the Breath World, a magical place where ogres clash and a
mouse holds the key to a mystery. Reviewed by Kristi Olson.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAABYcAAOTfw>to
read our Kidsreads.com reviews.

*
Series Feature Updates:*

*GOOSEBUMPS HORRORLAND #13: WHEN THE GHOST DOG
HOWLS<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAABe7AAOTfw>by
R.L. Stine
*
Twelve-year-olds Andy and Marnie had an awesome week in HorrorLand ---
despite their freaky encounter with Murder the Clown and the zombie mob.
Then they think they've won big when they get a FREE souvenir from
HorrorLand's Chiller House. But when Andy hears howling at night and Marnie
starts acting strange, they begin to rethink the gift from HorrorLand.
Unlucky book #13 of the *Goosebumps HorrorLand* series kicks off an entirely
new type of terror that will keep you guessing and quaking until book
#19. Reviewed
by Jana Siciliano.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAABw7AAOTfw>to
play the updated
*Goosebumps HorrorLand* trivia game.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAAB0bAAOTfw>to
read our
*Goosebumps HorrorLand* series feature.

*THE KARATE
MOUSE<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAAB5nAAOTfw>by
Geronimo Stilton
*
Geronimo Stilton gets caught up in the World Karate Championships, thanks to
the efforts of Bruce Hyena and Piccolo Tao, Bruce's super-sporty cousin.
Geronimo only has a week to become real champion material. Will Geronimo
manage to overcome his fears in order to win the competition?* *Reviewed by
Jana Siciliano.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAACIPAAOTfw>to
play the updated
*Geronimo Stilton* trivia game.
-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAACLdAAOTfw>to
read our
*Geronimo Stilton* series feature.
*
Graphic Novel Reviews:*

*CALAMITY
JACK<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAACTEAAOTfw>
**written by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale**, **illustrated by Nathan Hale*
Jack is back in this sequel to RAPUNZEL’S REVENGE --- but when Jack and
Rapunzel head to the big city to find Jack's momma, they discover that Jack
left behind a world of trouble when he ran away from home. Reviewed by Snow
Wildsmith.

*THE SECRET SCIENCE ALLIANCE AND THE COPYCAT
CROOK<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAACjeAAOTfw>written
and illustrated by Eleanor Davis
*
Three preteen science geniuses create their own alliance. Unfortunately,
someone else is interested in stealing their hard work. Reviewed by Danica
Davidson.

*Manhwa Review:**
*

*THE STARRY
NIGHT<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAAC2OAAOTfw>written
and illustrated by Kimjin
*
Four short stories reveal different sides of children’s lives. These include
stories about a schoolgirl crush and enchanted dolls. Reviewed by Danica
Davidson.

-Click here<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=Kxr3JQDXAAEAADEaAAOTfw>to
read our graphic novel and manhwa reviews.

*Remember to be safe online. NEVER tell anyone personal information ---
which includes your real name, age, address, phone number or school. Hey,
pretend you are undercover when you go online and protect yourself at all
times!

Keep reading!

Booker T. Worm and Friends
Kidsreads.com
The Book Report Network
250 W. 57th Street - Suite 1228
New York, New York 10107*
This e-mail was sent from The Book Report Network - KidsReads
Immediate removal with *PatronMail®
SecureUnsubscribe<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/uss?ide=AfwhusbSU9gyxmrt7lq-rR162lof>
*.
[image: This e-mail is powered by PatronMail, professional e-mail marketing
for arts, nonprofits & creative
businesses.]<http://www.patrontechnology.com/lp/lp_gen1.htm> To
forward this e-mail to a friend or colleague, use this
link<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/raf?ide=AfwhusbSU9gyxmrt7lq-rR162lof>.
 To change your e-mail address or update preferences, use this
link<http://kidsreads.pmailus.com/pmailweb/setup?pide=AeY6qfrfMeridBfpWOGap8VeNzZl>.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Finishing Touches by Hester Browne