[bksvol-discuss] Just Submitted: The War Against Miss Winter

  • From: "Donna Goodin" <goodindo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:56:54 -0400

Hi all,

Well, slowly but surely I'm making my way through the pile of books I
accumulated over the winter.  I just submitted the following in case anyone
wants to validate, The War Against Miss Winter, by Kathryn Miller Haines.
The scan was very clean, all pages have been checked and headers removed.  I
haven't read it yet, but this looks like a very literate, well-written
mystery.  It was another recommendation from the proprietor of our local
mystery bookstore.  The long synopsis-as provided by Bookshare follows.

Donna

It's 1943, and the war in Europe and the Pacific is escalating. At home in
New York City, ordinary citizens are feeling the effects as the war has
slowly taken over nearly every part of their lives, with food rations,
frequent air raids, blackouts and propaganda signs delivering ominous
warnings about the enemy.  Against this backdrop, Rosie Winter has her own
problems to deal with: her boyfriend unexpectedly enlisted in the Navy and
she hasn't heard from him in weeks; she hasn't had an acting job in six
months; and her theatrical rooming house is threatening to throw her out if
she doesn't get cast in something soon. To top it off she's been forced to
take a part-time job as a clerk for a lowbrow detective agency. When her
boss turns up dead, Rosie finds herself caught up in a mystery that involves
the mob, the theater crowd, Manhattan's high society, and a missing (and
notorious) script.  Led by the unforgettable Rosie Winter, THE WAR AGAINST
MISS WINTER is an exceptionally evocative and original novel that
beautifully brings to life the people and the places of World War II.