[bksvol-discuss] Re: Jack and Jill - Louisa May Alcott (need help)

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:39:19 -0700 (PDT)

Jamie,

If the illustrator is Ruth Ives, I found the following
at the govt. copyright site. According to this Nelson
Doubleday, Inc., is the copyright holder. (The PWH of
Ruth Ives means "Proprietor of copyright in a work
made for hire") and the date would be 1984--if Jack
and  Jill; a village story is the title of the copy
you have. And if you put this in the comments section
and the validator puts it in the comments section when
they upload, there should be no problem.

RE-200-196
Title:  Jack and Jill; a village story. By Louisa May
Alcott, illustrated by Ruth Ives.
Claimant: acNelson Doubleday , Inc. (PWH of Ruth Ives)
Effective Registration Date: 5Jan84
Original Registration Date: 17May56;
Original Registration Number: A236628.

On the other hand, if the copy you have is the one
listed on Amazon--without, unfortunately, a"look
inside", title being  Jack and Jill (Junior Deluxe
Editions), I'd say the the copyright holder would be
Doubleday and the date 1956, and/or Ruth Ives,
Illustrator. I'd include the govt. copyright info and,
as you suggeseted, ask.

Apparently the story was originally published, as I
searched the depths of amazon, in 1888.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.