[bksvol-discuss] Re: Introduction

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:52:46 -0700

Okay, Stacey, still and all, it's a necessary part of the job to be familiar
with what OCR errors you come across so they can be deleted. The submitter
will be grateful and so will future readers. If you are meticulous (a really
nice way of saying "picky") then the book will be a joy to read. What I
think the job description is that our main job is to make sure the submitted
file is up to that excellent quality rating or as near to perfect as we can
make the file without going stark staring nuts. When I proofread a file, I
really like to communicate with a submitter to let him/her know what I'm
discovering in the file. If the submitter is careful, making sure all the
text is there, my job is to treat that file with the same care and attention
the submitter had in scanning and preparing it for Bookshare. I want to
catch anything he/she missed. Ultimate goal, making the submitter look
really good, nice-looking and readable file which is a joy for future
readers. Now that gives me satisfaction. Believe it or not, there are folks
on this list who would rather pull out their teeth rather than proofreading.
For some reason peculiar to me, I can have a great time reading a book I
like and still have that little editor in my brain to attend to deleting
scannos and correcting them, stripping headers, and the like. Regards and
happy proofreading, Kim.

  _____