[bksvol-discuss] Introducing our new Volunteer Coordinator, Pavi Mehta

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:54:38 -0500

Dear Bookshare Volunteers and Community,

It is my great pleasure to introduce you to our new Volunteer Coordinator for
Bookshare.org, Pavi Mehta.

Pavi is delighted to be joining the Bookshare organization and the volunteer
community in particular. She has been reading the postings on the two mailing
lists for a few weeks, while becoming proficient herself in the scanning and
validating process. She is now ready to start participating actively in the
lists and getting to know the community first hand.
In this new role, Pavi will take responsibility for several activities
including the updating and publication of the  Volunteer Manual (which I hope to
soon rename The Scanning and Validation Manual). In this capacity she will work
with John Glass and Rob Turner in Customer Support as well as many others
on my team in Bookshare Operations. She will also be responsible for expanding
our recruitment of volunteers and supporting all of the great work that
you do as a community.

Pavi's formal training is in English Literature and Broadcast Journalism. She
has done freelance film and newspaper work in areas of social development
in India and worked as Communications Officer for Aravind
<http://www.aravind.org>
- an organization that is today the largest blindness prevention facility in
the world. Her award-winning first film "Infinite Vision" followed the life
and work of its legendary founder, Dr V.   Pavi serves on the boards of three
non-profits working in education, development, and healthcare and is a core
member of CharityFocus <http://www.charityfocus.org>
, a volunteer-run non-profit organization that leverages web technology to
serve people in a variety of ways.

I know that Pavi is eager to get to know all of you. If you would like to write
to her, her email is
Pavi.M@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
.  (Mail to
Pavi.M@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 will also reach her.) Pavi will be at the NFB meeting July 1-3 and looks
forward to meeting those of you who will be there.

All the best, Lisa

Lisa Friendly, Ph.D.

Director of Operations, Bookshare.org

lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx