[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN numbers on lists--P.S.

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:40:46 -0400

I am not even sure that different authors would justify including the ISBN. There are a few books with identical titles, but are entirely different books. That is the likelihood if the same title has another author. In that case, including an ISBN would exclude multiple editions of both books. I do think and hope that Bookshare counts different editions as seperate books, but if people start looking up books on Bookshare by ISBN they are bound to miss a lot of what they are looking for. Also, even though I do think that different editions should be counted as different books I don't think I would bother to scan a book that already was in the collection in a different edition unless I was sure that the differences were very significant. Sometimes the differences in the editions are minor too. For example, the size of the print might be the only difference and that, of course, would effect the number of pages, but the text would be identical. I think it would be better to just leave off the ISBN and let whoever is interested in it determine if the title and edition of the book he or she wants is available or not and if it is not then let that person decide whether to request or scan it. If the specific edition is important then the ISBN could then be included. Then, consider this. The ISBN was only introduced in 1968 and was not widely adopted until the mid to late 1970s. There are a lot of books in various editions out there without an ISBN and that would only add to the confusion if it became routine to include it on these lists.

_     _      _

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
Stephen Roberts

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
 http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] ISBN numbers on lists
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 7:08 PM

It occurs to me that ISBN numbers would only be useful if a proofer wants to get the same edition of book that is being scanned, or if a requester wants a particular edition of a book. In the former case, a proofer can ask the scanner if I put them next to all the books being scanned the list would be many more pages long than it is now). Therefore, I'll only add them to nonfiction books when the requester has requested a particular edition--unless someone here wants them on all the books.