[bksvol-discuss] Re: I sure wish bookshare would consider pricing plans like cell phone providers do

  • From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 11:29:39 -0700

Also I would not see myslef reading that many either, plus with the
way the economy is right now and is probably going to be in the future
if well I wo't go into politics now, but no way here on earth I will
personally pay for that feature nor have enough money to pay for
membership which is why I love the fact people can donate credits to
someone like me for instance who can't afford the annual payment. I'm
just sayin'...you dig?

On 10/15/11, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you can talk Bookshare into it then go for it. Downloading such large
> numbers of books, I think, would use up so much bandwidth that it would make
> it slower and more difficult for the rest of us and I expect that is why
> there are the limits in the first place, but if there was a significant
> charge for the increased number of downloads then I doubt that many people
> would take advantage of it and so it would not make it all that much harder
> on the rest of us. I do, however, have a hard time understanding why you
> would want to do that, especially if you had to pay for it. Like you said,
> you cannot possibly read 300 books a month and I seriously doubt that you
> can make it through even a hundred. I sure can't. I wonder what you are
> doing with them. If you are just giving them a skim to see what they are
> about it seems to me that you could either read the synopsis on the book's
> page or, since a good many of them do not have a synopsis, there are a lot
> of other sites such as Amazon and others that do. It would seem that looking
> on sites like that would be less time consuming and trouble than downloading
> them and skimming them. Personally, I download a book when I am ready to
> read it and I am ready to read it when I have finished the last one. It has
> occurred to me that maybe I should download a good number and store them
> just in case something unforeseen happens like my losing my Internet access,
> but I have never gotten around to it. I have trouble seeing why I would want
> to download so many that I could not read them all in a lifetime though. I
> see Bookshare, BARD, Open Library and the other sources I use to acquire
> books as a very large personal library. It is personal because I can take a
> book down from the shelf whenever I want to without leaving my house. Back
> when I actually had a personal library of print books I would take one off
> the shelf when I wanted to read it. I see that as analogous to downloading
> it. When I was through reading it I put it back on the shelf and I consider
> that as analogous to deleting it. If I wanted to read it again I could just
> take it off the shelf again, that is, download it again. If I had taken them
> all off the shelf and kept them off the shelf without using them then I
> would have considered that to be just plain porr housekeeping. Similarly,
> downloading hundreds of books and then having to store them on my computer
> or some other kind of drive and then keping track of them while not actually
> reading them strikes me as poor housekeeping too, not to mention being a lot
> of trouble. One thing I do, though, is that when I come across a book that I
> want to read or might want to read, is to bookmark it. I have a special
> folder in my bookmarks for Bookshare, Open Library, the Western Australian
> Association for the Blind and so forth. I find that books from BARD and the
> [...]

"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you
forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated,
but when you get the two of them together in a way people can relate to,
then I think you're on to something. You want the sophistication to lie in
the purity of the sound, the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of
the performances."-Trumpeter Chris Botti
--
Chela Robles
E-Mail/GoogleTalk/AIM/MySpace/LinkedIn: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx