[bksvol-discuss] Re: I do not understand this.

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:54:15 -0500

#
Yes, you are listed as the proofreader for the Last Year of Malcolm X. The Final Speeches was proofread by Debbie Franson.
On 2/25/2013 10:38 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
That is strange. All LI can think is that perhaps at one point it was removed and put on the download queue to be fixed because something was wrong. One of the book,s, but I think it was the Last Speeches ..., though--was returned to have the end-of-line paragraph symbols removed, which I did; it would then have been added back to the collection. Maybe the same thing happened to The Last Year of ...Or maybe that's the book, and not the speeches.. and fact, now that I'm remembering, or trying to, the content,that was thebook. Am I the volunteer listed as proofer?
Cindy

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <mailto:rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    #
    No, the book is available on the Bookshare site. You can go there
    and download it yourself. It's just that on the list of all my
    submissions in the "my scans in progress" page it is marked as
    having been removed from the system. By the way, Pathfinder Press
    is my favorite publisher and if they did start supplying their own
    copies that would please me even if it did mean that some of my
    own contributions were removed, but it has not.

    On 2/25/2013 9:53 PM, Nimit Kaur wrote:

        Hi Roger,

        That is strange.  So, you mean the book you submitted is no
        longer on
        the bookshare site?  Just curious.  Sorry I don't know the
        answer to
        your question, neither do I totally get it, but anyways.  So,
        is your
        book gone totally?  That's really strange all that work you
        put in to
        it I guess.  Thanks!

        On 2/25/13, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
        <mailto:rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

            #
            Back when so many people were upset that their volunteer
            submissions
            were being replaced by publisher quality books I felt
            rather smug
            because none of my own contributions had been replaced.
            The reason is
            that pretty much every book I have submitted is published
            by a small and
            obscure publisher or is quite old. To this day I was
            confident that none
            of my submissions had been replaced. Well, just now I was
            doing
            something I do not ordinarily do. I was on my scans in
            progress page,
            which now contains one's whole history of submissions, and
            this time I
            started scrolling down to look at all the books I had
            submitted. It
            turned out that two of my submissions had been labeled as
            removed from
            the system after all. They were "Malcolm X: The final
            Speeches" and "The
            Last Year of Malcolm X." I was certain that the publisher,
            Pathfinder
            Press, had not signed an agreement with Bookshare even
            though I wish
            they would do so. My first thought was that my
            contributions had been
            replaced by outsourced copies and if that was the case I
            was going to
            come here and ask what is the point of even having
            volunteers if our
            work is going to be replaced with copies that Bookshare
            has acquired
            from wherever they acquire them and farmed out to the
            outsourcers. But
            first I did a search of the collection for one of the
            books in question,
            The Last Year of Malcolm X. I found it readily and clicked
            the title to
            find out who supplied the copy that had replaced mine. It
            turned out to
            have been myself after all. The metadata page does state
            that I was the
            submitter and that a fellow volunteer was the proofreader.
            So why is it
            labeled in my history of submissions as having been
            removed from the
            system while it remains in the system and is ready to be
            downloaded?
            <mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.
             To get a list of
            available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
            subject line.