[bksvol-discuss] Re: Guidelines for prep of books for submission?

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara,

I'm not sure from your post and Sarah's reply whether
you're validating or submitting, or validating after
scanning and before submitting. Like Sarah, though,
I'll comment on some of your questions one by one.

> 1) should the print page number be on the  same line
> as the form feed or
> on a separate line?

I don't know what you're using; Sarah's answer perhaps
answers your question here. What I do, using Word, is
skip a line from the top of the page, put the page
number on the next line, and then skip a line before
the text. Since I've never downloaded any of my books,
I don't know if this works, but it's what Pratik
initially said to do, and I think my favorite guide,
Gerald, said that also. If the page number is at the
bottom of the page, again follow the above's
instruction, I skip a line after the text, put the
page number, skip another line and then put the page
break.

> 2) What should I do about hyphenated words?  This
> usually happens if the
> last workd on an ink-print page is split between the
>  current page and the
> this  or should I fix
> the hyphenated words (join them together) before I
> submit the book?

You should close up hyphenated words, except those
that aren't supposed to be hyphenated (e.g.
twenty-three) that happen at the end of lines. If they
are the last word on a page, it's your choice whether
to put the whole word on the last line of the one page
or on the first line of the next. I do it manually as
I read the book when I'm validating, because I've
found that if I do a global replace of the hyphen with
nothing, a lot of words that should be hyphenated get
closed up and have to be re-hyphenated.

> 3)  The present book I'm doing is in text mode
> because it's easier for me
> to edit it in text mode.  The parahraps are not
> indented but there is a
> blank line between each paragraph.  will the braille
> translation program
> be able to identify the paragraphs?

I don't know about the Braille program, but I asked
the list a long time ago and most people, I assume the
Braille readers, said they preferred to have lines
skipped between paragraphs. It isn't always possible,
though. I've found that if there's a lot of dialogue
on the page, skipping lines between paragraphs makes
the page length longer than it should be, so I've had
to indent paragraphs.

When I skip lines between paragraphs, I double or
triple-space if there's a change in section where the
book double spaces, or before and after long
quotations or poetry or letters where the book
duble-spaces.

If you edit in txt you should change to rtf before
uploading, especially if you're validating and not
submitting. If you're submitting, the validator cabn
convert to rtf before approving and uploading.  But
txt does not retain fonts like italics, and sometimes
it loses page breaks.

> 5) Are there any written guidelines?  if so, where
> would I find them?

I think Sarah answered this, although I suspect that
someone like Jake, who saved the guidelines, will send
them to you.

http://mail.yahoo.com