[bksvol-discuss] Freeware Editors For Validating (was Re: Releasing Book)

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:13:17 -0400

Hi, Max. You have raised some good questions. I can only speak for the Windows operating system here as I have no experience with Linux or the Mac. I think the reason Microsoft Word is the editor of choice is that there are Jaws and Window Eyes scripts that do things like identify page breaks and such. I have not found a freeware editor for rtf files where Jaws will identify page breaks. Even WordPad will not do this, and it won't let you work with section breaks either. Since page breaks must be checked during validation, editors that don't announce their presence can't be used with complete confidence. As for Google's document service, I have not tried it. However, if their Blogger and GooglePages editor is any indication, accessibility isn't that great, and formatting things is a nightmare.

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.