[bksvol-discuss] FW: Kensington Publishing Corp. Contributing Titles to Bookshare

  • From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:53:34 -0700

From: Robin Seaman
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:45 AM
To: Bookshare Team
Subject: Kensington Publishing Corp. Contributing Titles to Bookshare

Kensington Publishing Corp., based in New York, has given us U.S. rights for
their titles.  They will be uploading 1,750 titles in EPUB through
LibreDigital.  In an unusual twist, they have declined to sign the agreement
for a variety of legal reasons but, in their words, "We firmly support the
mission of Benetech, and we are happy to have our books enrich the lives of
those with disabilities."

Kensington is the last remaining large independent U.S. publisher of hardcover,
trade and mass market paperback books. Kensington now accounts for about 7% of
all mass market paperback sales in the U.S. Through the Kensington, Zebra,
Pinnacle and Citadel press imprints, the company releases close to 600 new
books per year and has a backlist of more than 3,000 titles.  They are
considered a leader and innovator in such areas of publishing as
African-American (Dafina), Gay and Lesbian, and, of course romance. In 2006
they launched their new erotica line in trade paper and in an eBook format as
well. Competitive marketing strategies are Kensington's hallmark. They
pioneered the use of 3-D and holographic covers, foiling, embossing and
multi-colored covers for the same title-distinctive techniques subsequently
adopted by other publishers.
While they originally started as primarily a historical romance publisher,
Kensington now publishes in just about all genres, with historical romance now
making up only a very small portion of their list. They publish titles in such
areas as Wicca, Gambling, Gay and Lesbian, Military History and now popular
internet culture.  Romance and women's fiction, however, continue to make up
more than half of the titles published each year.

http://www.kensingtonbooks.com/