[bksvol-discuss] Re: Crash by Jerry Sponelly

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:12:32 -0400

Well, it is a two step process, smile.

First I scan the books, this is actually kind of a stress reliever for me,
smile, scanning doesn't really require a lot of thought when you are done
with the settings.  Then, I will save it and put it on my compact flash for
editing.  The piles I scan, are well, cumulative, I have books from
November, and well last Christmas I haven't edited to submit.  Crash was one
I scanned while student teaching, was recommended by my Cooperating Teacher.

I usually pop in a video or listen to a talking book or the news or
something while scanning.

Oh, and last January through March I had no cable, no TV, no Internet, and
one phone!  And let me tell you you get a lot scanned in that time, smile.
That is where a lot of the stuff I am validating now, came from.  In fact we
had four days, where we were prisoners in our own dorm, as the sidewalks
were solid ice.  After three days, we decided at any cost we were getting
out!  Smile.  So we went to the store, and the library, smile.

I also made a lot of trips to Borders.  Some of the books are still in the
validating pool from that adventure.

But yeah Scanning is a blast, and I don't mind reading and editing my own
books if they Interest me, if they don't I put them up to the Mercy of the
validators, who do a job, I would not want to be stuck with.  To me
Validation is a chore, but scanning is a pleasure.

And one book at a time, smile.

I have like sixteen books sitting here awaiting scanning attention.

And I start a new and probably stressful job tomorrow, so will be enjoying
some scanning R and R in the afternoon.

I guess this is what happens to you when you have been around here  for over
three years, smile.

Am I strange, O.k. don't answer that, smile, but it is still something I
like to do.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com
Never let mistakes or wrong directions, of which every man falls
into many, discourage you.  There is precious instruction to be
got by finding where we were wrong.

      -- Thomas Carlyle