[bksvol-discuss] Content Filtering & List Courtesies

  • From: Pavi Mehta <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:38:50 -0700

Hi All,

Just a quick note to let people know that if you receive MailServer
Notifications regarding Content Filtering, these are automated replies sent by
the FreeList system and not by Bookshare. I do not know what content triggers
these responses but can check in with John Glass who manages the lists about
this.

Also a  few reminders to all:

-          Neither of the Bookshare lists are the appropriate place to air
personal religious views or comment on other people's perspectives on the same.
Same goes for discussions of a political nature. There are other online forums
for such matters. If you wish to have conversations of this nature with
Bookshare members or volunteers please remember to do so off-list.

-          Complaints/Negative Comments about fellow volunteers: These lists
are not meant to be used as a place to voice personal feelings of unhappiness
or annoyance with particular individuals.  If you are concerned about the work
or communication style of another volunteer please write in to me directly:
pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> regarding this so that we may
take steps to look into and address the situation. Following this protocol
moves us in the direction of finding a solution to the problem.

-          As a courtesy to fellow list members, when you do feel compelled to
write the list regarding something that does not directly concern Bookshare or
volunteering with Bookshare, including an Off-Topic message indication - a
simple OT in the subject line is appreciated. If the initiator of the email
thread neglects to do this, subsequent responders can remedy this by inserting
it in their replies.

From personal experience I know that off-topic messages on the list are often
rich with humor, concern, and a general sense of camaraderie that goes a long
way in building strong ties among the community. Such tangents serve a valuable
and constructive purpose and I hope they will continue to exist.

With these clarifications and reminders made, I truly look forward to a more
healthy and positive environment on Bookshare's lists that builds on the
strengths that already exist and help us grow further.

Warm regards,
Pavi

Pavi Mehta
Volunteer Coordinator, Bookshare