[bksvol-discuss] Re: Cindy you may be wasting your time

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:07:54 -0700

I disagree. While it may be true that some of the more esoteric formatting she does may be lost on most - if not all - Bookshare readers, I think it is important to try to preserve at least such basics such as bold, italics, centering of titles, blank lines where they appear in the book and so on. Certainly those who can see will get something that doesn't look as though it was sent through a mangler, and who knows, perhaps someday, Braille readers will get the benefit of a real Braille translator that can show such things. But I don't see why formatting and font characteristics should be ignored just because certain - or nearly all of them in the case of Braille - don't currently get reflected in the Bookshare collection.

I have no sight myself, but I am learning - from my own experience and from talking to other scanners and validators - just how much still doesn't get preserved, or misrecognized in the scanning process. I myself have on more than one occasion gotten ridiculous font sizes, such as 2, for titles and 6 for page numbers. I am quite sure that these are incorrect. It is time consuming, and I don't check the font size and formatting of everything, but I do think it is important to try and get the book looking at least moderately like it was intended. If she is willing to do these things, then I think she should be commended for her dedication - especially since, as I said, much of it does not currently get to the final recipients. It is to be hoped that one day, when a good Braille translator is doing the job, people will actually see centered chapter headings, italics and bold text, even blank lines where they appear in the book. Until then, such information is still at least in the rtf files that careful dedicated people are sending up to Bookshare, and those who can see will at least for now get the benefit of it.

Evan