[bksvol-discuss] Chess books wished for

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

Below is the more specifically descriptive request for chess books from our
chess-playing member, Rod, who has been, in the past, as you will see, on the
Olympiad Blind chess team. In his earlier post to me he described the various
kinds of notation. If anyone wants, I'll post that, too, or send it to you off
list.

Cindy

I would like to see a fairly broad variety of chess books available,
appealing to players of all strengths. NLS has one or two books for
beginners/casual readers available electronically, and perhaps 30 in
braille in limited editions available only through inter-library loan.
(And almost all are 30+ years old.) The old books used "descriptive"
notation that is no longer in use, and is hard for many players today to
figure out. Hence the old books are pretty redundant.

Here are a few basic categories:
1. Beginner: how to play chess, how to improve yoru game.
2. Intermediate: Chess strategy and tactics; game collections fo great
players; chess problems and endgame studies; introduction to chess
openings.
3. Advanced: Reference works on chess openings, middle game and endgame;
classics; game collections.

I probably would fit into the "advanced"
category - I
have not played
competitively for 25 years but I have been a member of the U.S. team in
the chess Olympiad for the blind several times.

If we can scan some books I would be willing to help edit the scanned
material, even to playing through games to ensure the notation is correct.
If someone could give me descriptives - (pawn on d2..." I could put it in
the FEN notation that is a standard diagram equivalent that can be read by
blind people (and chess-playing software can convert to a picture
diagram.) However, if it comes to that I would have to do it pretty
early-on, because the main problem encountered as a Bookshare volunteer
was that page numbers got lost when I tried to edit, and Mr. Glass said
page numbers had to stay as-is. If page breaks were hard-coded I would be
fine, or if I worked before page numbers were set I woudl be even better
off.

Anyway, thanks for the four starters. I will be back when I have a wish
list.

Rod

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/