[bksvol-discuss] Can't check books in (or sometimes out) at certain times of night

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:10:42 -0500

I don't know how many volunteers are night owls, but lately I haven't been able to check books in at all if I try to do so during the middle of the night (about 2 a.m. central time to about 5 a.m.)

The Bookshare server starts the checkout and then simply goes to never-never land. Sometimes, I can get all the way to the end of the checkout sequence, and it will check the book in but not give me any notice that it's done so--it just hangs. The only way I know that it's been checked in is to look at the 'books waiting to be approved list' or seeing if it's disappeared from my list of checked out books.

I get similar problems as what Jamie described with trying to check out books from the checkout list during those hours of the night. Sometimes the Bookshare system never generates the request to my computer to download the file--but it thinks it has, the book disappears from the checkout list, and I can then download it by going the next day to the "my checked out books" page and downloading the rtf from there. Other times, the Bookshare system simply hangs and the book remains on the checkout list and I can't get it checked out until the next day. It's not that the books are downloading to someplace odd on my system, either--they aren't downloading at all.

I used to get this error occasionally, but for the last week at least it's been every time I try during those late night/early morning hours. The only error the Bookshare system generates, if it gets that far, is to say the site is "experiencing difficulties--try again later."

Is anyone else having this problem?

Judy s.