[bksvol-discuss] Re: Can someone please help me...preferrably a braille user

  • From: Nimit Kaur <kaur.nimit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:58:33 -0500

Hi Neta,

Don't worry!  I totally understand what you mean and how difficult it
is to find books in an accessible format and bookshare and Learning
Ally are my most two reliable resources!!!!!  Well, I didn't get to
colledge level yet (still three years away) but I totally understand
your opinion and can relate to it personally.  I hope you get it
solved because I don't think you should have to take this class again
and pay again just because of this textbook problem!!!!  Check on BARD
and Learning Ally too maybe they have more readable one if bookshare
doesn't get back to you soon enough.  Good luck!  Thanks!

On 2/18/13, Dornetta <dornetta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey Nimit;
> Doing a JAWS find is NOT going to work since so far many of the words and
> phrases are together without spaces. Like this, Early Societies in the
> Americas and Oceaniachapter6. Difficult when all I want is Chapter 6 or to
> use Ocean in the find feature...D-I-F-F-I-C-U-L-T!  (DIFFICULT!)
> I've set placemarkers but this also provides its own complications because
> there are 2 versions available on book share (4th ed. and 5 th ed.) My
> instructor is using the 5th edition and says that the 4th edition will be
> fine. But much to my sha-grin, the information is much different which is
> apparent when you look at my test scores. I'm 100% on study guides and
> summary questions (mostly because I use other sources like Wicky
> encyclopedia and the internet) but when taking the tests and quizzes, so
> much of the content of them is based on the "extras" in the 5th edition. It
>
> is still reflected on my answers to the summary/essay questions. I get
> points taken off (small points but points never-the-less) because of the
> missing information. When you add up -3 points here and -1 points here...it
>
> starts to add up. Anyway, when I'm in class and there are discussions going
>
> on, I feel out of sorts because I can't contribute because of the textbook
> issue. Like I said, I don't like this version but I still use it to the best
>
> of my ability. As a student, you probably already know the difficulties with
>
> PDF inspired textbooks as well. Right now, I just use all three versions of
>
> the book (PDF, 4th edition & 5th edition) to write my papers as well as my
> essay questions. Thanks for your help but I'm still pulling out my hair
> here.
> I guess one can say that I'm being ummmmm witchy anyway and just need to
> suck it up but that darn D last semester got me buzzing! (I've NEVER
> received a D before so I don't like the look on my transcript) If Book Share
>
> could fix this book you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be re-taking this
> class even if it means paying out of pocket for it. Netta

“JUST BECAUSE A MAN LACKS THE USE OF HIS EYES DOESN’T MEAN HE LACKS
VISION!!" By STEVIE WONDER

"Just BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE DOESN't MEAN YOU CAN'T HEAR AND THINK!!"
By STEVIE WONDER

NIMIT KAUR

kaur.nimit@xxxxxxxxx
kaur.nimit@xxxxxxxxxxx