[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare & the American Association of Publishers

  • From: "Pavi Mehta" <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:13:19 -0700

Below is Jim Fruchterman's response to your question Soronel:

Thanks, Soronel, for this question.  We have a very cordial relationship with
almost all of the publishing industry and with the AAP.  We review our legal
agreements and major policy decisions with the AAP's general counsel, and
generally endeavor to keep the AAP in the loop on Bookshare.  The AAP won't
come out and approve our policies, and I'm clear that's not their role. We have
changed policies in reaction to AAP concerns in the past, and consider them a
key partner.  When we launched, the head of the AAP sent out an email to all of
their members saying that Bookshare was working closely with AAP.  This
continues to this day.

The AAP acts as a liaison between us and their members, keeping them informed.
Individual publishers can and do hold a variety of opinions: Pearson is
generally at one end of that spectrum (and as the largest K-12 textbook
publisher, the most heavily regulated on accessibility).  Most publishers are
very supportive of Bookshare, and have been voluntarily contributing their
books to Bookshare: most of the books on the NYT Best Seller lists come from
publishers that are helping with Bookshare. Each of these agreements is based
on our interpretation of Chafee.  Most publishers see helping us as the
socially responsible thing to do, publishers like HarperCollins, Random House,
Hachette, Scholastic and many more.

Since Chafee hasn't been litigated (to my knowledge), a lot of what happens is
the result of these informal conversations.  Our feeling has been that we're on
solid ground with the publishing industry as long as we take our Chafee
obligations seriously and restrict access to our books to people with bona fide
disabilities that interfere with reading print.

Jim Fruchterman

Warm regards,
Pavi

Pavi Mehta