[bksvol-discuss] Books for the Fourth

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:52:54 -0400

Hey you all, if you are seeking some short books to get yourself into a
Patriotic mood today, may I make the following four recommendations.

Remember to be logged in for these.

The Flag We Love:
Pam Muñoz Ryan
Excellent rating, gives the history of the flag and some fascinating facts
about it.
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=20495

America Is...
Louise Borden

Synopsis:
In words and pictures, this is a great salute to a great country, the land
of freedom for us, and for people all over the world. In her poetic text,
Louise
Borden evokes with bold strokes the many aspects of our nation?its
farmlands, its prairies, its cattle country, its cities, its rivers and the
many kinds
of people who live and work here. Mountains and deserts, waterfalls and
beaches?each of our states has special things to see and enjoy. And all over
this
country our flag flies, with fifty stars for our current fifty states and
thirteen broad stripes for our original thirteen colonies.

Also excellent rating, and the print edition is absolutely beautiful.  Has
picture descriptions.
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=26686

Chicken Soup for the Soul of America: Stories to Heal the Heart of Our
Nation
Jack Canfield,
Mark Victor Hansen,
Matthew E. Adams

"Chicken Soup for the Soul of America is a collection of vivid snapshots.
They remind us what it means to be a hero; of the strength of America's
democracy,
and that our spirit cannot be destroyed nor our resolve defeated. This
compelling book speaks to the kindness of strangers, the courage of ordinary
people
and what it truly means to be a member of the human family."Lois Capps U.S.
Rep. (D-CA)

Ias also an Excellent Rated book.
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=22087
A Patriot's Handbook: Songs, Poems, Stories and Speeches Celebrating The
Land We love by
Caroline Kennedy (editor)

Written by Caroline Kennedy, this is a great collection of America's most
famous songs, poems, and Supreme Court rulings, along with history about
each
one of them.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=21170

Happy Fourth everybody.