[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: Miss Nelson Has a Field Day

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:09:47 -0500

I discovered that we have Miss Nelson is Missing, in spanish but not in
English.  So while picking up that gem from my childhood, smile, I cam
across the two other books in the series.  One of the great things about
being a TVI, I guess, and helping Bookshare is I get to reread books from my
childhood, that I loved.  I remember when this one was brand new.

Anyway, under the .rtf section of the website. may need a spell check but
that is about it.
Miss Nelson Has a Field Day
By Harry Allard
The football team hasn't won a game all year. They haven't even scored a
single point. They practice only when they feel like it, and neither
Principal Blandsworth's admonition nor Coach Armstrong's heart-rending sobs
spur them on. Something has to be done. On a certain day when no one wants
to practice, the coach's whistle blows, and the team cannot believe what
they see: It's that substitute teacher from times past, the terrible tyrant
from Miss Nelson's Room 207. The team knows they're in for it when she
shouts for all to hear, "I am Coach Swamp."

The surprise twist to Miss Swamp's outrageous and rollicking story will
delight and mystify the multitude of fans that Harry Allard and James
Marshall have won with Miss Nelson Is Missing! and Miss Nelson Is Back.

Harry Allard and James Marshall have teamed up before to create the
wonderful adventures of the Stupid family in The Stupids Step Out, The
Stupids Have a Ball, and The Stupids Die. And, of course, they are the
creators of the famous Miss Nelson Is Missing!, which has won the Arizona
Young Readers Award, the Georgia Children's Picture Storybook Award, and the
California Young Reader Medal. Miss Nelson Is Back, the rollicking sequel,
is a featured selection on the PBS television series "Reading Rainbow."

Miss Nelson Is Missing!

"A zany lesson in teacher appreciation."

-Horn Book

"The team that gave us the incomparably giddy The Stupids Step Out is
together again ... If all teachers looked as goofy as Mr. Marshall makes
these two, the earth would never again have a truancy problem."- New York
Times

Miss Nelson Is Back

"Yes, she is and her further adventures are sure to be a hit."- School
Library Journal, starred review

"A marvelous complication of masquerades, with the kids impersonating Miss
Nelson, Miss Nelson appearing as Miss Swamp, and Miss Nelson-as-Miss Swamp
masquerading as Miss Nelson. A nifty performance, always a step or two ahead
of the audience."- Kirkus

"Marshall's color cartoons and the twisty tale rise to stratospheric heights
of buffoonery."- Publishers Weekly

"This is an artful spoof that's not to be missed."- Booklist, starred review

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com