[bksvol-discuss] Book Submitted: The Skyscraper Book

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:42:30 -0400

Another nonfiction book from James Cross Giblin, good introduction to sky
scrapers and explains a lot of architectural terms and concepts.

Good easy proof for someone.
ISBN:   0-690-04154-3
Title:   The Skyscraper Book
Author(s):   James Cross Giblin, Anthony Kramer (Illustrator), David Anderson
(Photographer)
Publisher:   HarperCollins Canada, Limited
Copyright Date:   1981
Copyrighted By:   James Cross Giblin,
Brief Synopsis:   Discusses skyscrapers, from the first one constructed in
Chicago in 1884 to those of today, and points out the problems skyscrapers have
helped solve and create.
Long Synopsis:   Did you know the first skyscraper was built almost 100 years
ago? For centuries men had dreamed of buildings tall enough to scrape the
sky. But it wasn't until 1880 that a young architect in Minneapolis drew the
first plans for structures with steel skeletons strong enough to support 20,
50, or even 100 stories. He called the buildings "cloud scrapers." And then in
1884 the first skyscraper was built in Chicago. It was only a 10-story
structure,
but it paved the way for giant buildings to come. This book tells the stories
of the tallest, most famous, and most influential skyscrapers, from the earliest
ones in Chicago to the new office towers rising in our cities today. It points
out the beauty of skyscrapers - and sometimes their ugliness. It explores
the urban problems skyscrapers have helped to solve, and others they've helped
to create. Striking photographs and detailed line drawings convey the visual
impact skyscrapers have made upon our cities - and our lives.
Comments:   Has been read through. Page numbers were inserted at top of pages,
please delete any page numbers found on the bottom of pages as they are no
longer needed, captions labeled with[] and Caption: and all blank pages are
either blank or photos. If you have any questions please contact me at
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Adult content:   No
Language:   English US
Book Quality:   EXCELLENT
Categories:   Nonfiction, History, Children's Books, Art and Architecture
B4E Significant:   No
SFWA Challenged:   No

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A. CVRT
and Ludden black Labrador Guide Dog.

The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea. -Isak Dinesen
(pen name of Karen Blixen), author (1885-1962)