[bksvol-discuss] Barbara's question on group/university accounts

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:23:12 -0500

Hi Barbara,

I believe that only those students who qualify (i.e., submit proof of
disability) can use Bookshare even if a university purchases an account.
From http://www.bookshare.org/web/SupportOrgSignUpInfo.html#4, which is the
Sponsored Subscription subsection of the page, it is stated that the person
sponsoring the subscription (i.e., whoever is managing the Bookshare account
at your university) must provide Bookshare with the names and email
addresses of all who will be using the service; Bookshare then sends each
student a request to fill out the registration form and submit proof of
disability, just as if they were creating an individual account. Only after
registration and proof of disability have been submitted does the
subscription of each sponsored member become activated, so in this way,
Bookshare is aware of precisely who is accessing the service through this
sponsored account; I believe each student would be given separate log-in
info, although I'm not positive about this because I have an individual
account, but a friend is using Bookshare through a sponsored account, so he
might know a bit better how it works (or, if you had any more questions, you
could write to support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; then again, on second thought, the
better address to write to might be groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx). In any
case, hope this helps a bit.

HTH,