[bksvol-discuss] An interesting note for scanners

  • From: Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:58:51 +0000

Hi,

One of our contractors emailed me the following and I found it rather
interesting. It won't apply to everyone, but I figured I'd post it in case
anyone should find it useful.

Idea you may want to float out there to volunteers. Remember I said I had
learned this by experience as a volunteer scanner. I later discovered by
experiment, that when my 98%clean K1K scan was converted to RTF, much of the
formatting was lost. I changed to scan and set up in K1K, then saved as RTF and
then did my proofing in RTF. MUCH cleaner books that way.  Some scanners may
not know this is option. I know they have to submit in RTF, but may not realize
they lose their fixes if the fixes are done in the scanning program.

In other words, if you proof your scan in a format other than RTF and then
convert it to RTF, many of the changes will actually not save.

Best,

Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator
Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative
650-644-3459
madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Join us in celebrating our 10th
Anniversary!<http://blog.bookshare.org/2012/03/11/join-bookshares-worldwide-10th-anniversary-celebration/>

[Title:  Bookshare logo: Bringing Reading to Life for 10 Years]

JPEG image