[bksvol-discuss] American Savior, by Roland Merullo

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 02:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

A member is *really* anxious to read American Savior: a Novel of Divine
Politics by Roland Merullo. When he requested it, I think last week, the
reviews were such and the topicality such that I thought it would be on the NY
Times bestseller list and that bookshare would process it, but it's not on the
list yet.

It sounds very funny--good satire. I don't know, though, if some of you might
be offended. Jesus returns to earth to run as a third-party candidate for the
presidency of the U.S. hoping to save the country. Catholics, Jews and atheists
unite to help him. There are "takedowns of thinly veiled political journalists:
there's loud-mouthed, insult-spewing Anne Canter and Bulf Spritzer, a decent
guy [who] can never quite convince the viewer that he isn't ecstatic about
being in the limelight." I didn't want to quote the whole PW review because we
aren't supposed to.