[bksvol-discuss] Re: All quotes are now question marks in 2 books approved by Bookshare

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:46:48 -0500

Hi Chris,

The ASCII 34 you are getting is the ANSI value for a standard generic quote. That is, generic in the sense, that 1 mark does it all, neither being specifically an open or close quotation mark. It is typically the character represented on the home row of a qwerty keyboard to the left of the enter/return key when in shift mode.
I would venture to guess, that it isn't the ASCII 34 that is causing you troubles, but more likely the 148, which is in the realm of the non-standard ASCII values. Any value from 1 to 127 is considered ANSI Standard ASCII and hasn't changed since the early 70's. When you get into values above 127, you start depending on how the hardware and software decide to represent and interpret that value. Just because MS
Word 2003 views a decimal 148 as a closed quote, doesn't assure that
all your other software applications will see it the same way.

HTH

Dave

At 04:42 PM 3/5/2005, you wrote:

From the special characters menu in Word 2003 I just inserted the different types of quotation marks into a blank document and JAWS tells me that the close quote is 148. Not sure what 34 is.