[bksvol-discuss] 2 new titles just submitted to Bookshare

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 14:38:46 -0700

Hello fellow Bookshare member volunteers.
And season's greetings!

This message is to announce that I have just submitted 2 recently scanned books for processing, for consideration for the collection. I think that I checked all available places on the volunteer website, available for proofreading and awaiting approval and did not find either of them.
they are both non fiction books.
Thanks very much.
Richard (Rik) James
d28rik@xxxxxxx  or ohio1803@xxxxx

SUBMITTED BOOK # 1:

ISBN #:   978-0-393-35155-2 (pbk.)
TITLE:   Ebola: The Natural and Human History of a Deadly Virus
AUTHOR:  David Quammen
YEAR OF COPYRIGHT:   Copyright © 2014, 2012 by David Quammen
PUBLISHER:  W. W. Norton & Company
GENRE: non-fiction, science

volunteer comments:
This book was scanned using Kurzweil K-1000 version 12.4. I have retained the .kes file with images as well as the printed copy. So if there is an issue, I can refer to it. Whenever there is a blank page that is included in the book's pagination, I have inserted the page number, and inserted "page is blank" in brackets on that page. The entire Rich Text Format file was put in 12 point Arial regular font. I am available and would encourage anyone proofreading with a question to contact me by email. d28rik at msn dot com.

SHORT DESCRIPTION:

from the book cover...

In 1976 a deadly virus emerged from the jungles of Sudan. As swiftly as it came, it disappeared, leaving no trace. Over the four decades since, Ebola has emerged sporadically, each time to devastating effect. It can kill up to 90 percent of its victims. In between these outbreaks, it is untraceable, hiding deep in the jungle. The search is on to find Ebola's elusive host animal. And until we find it, Ebola will continue to strike.

SUBMITTED BOOK # 2:

ISBN #:   ISBN 13: 978-1-939995-03-2
TITLE:   A Six String History of America
AUTHOR:  Copyright © 2014 Jay M. Pilzer
YEAR OF COPYRIGHT:   Copyright © 2014 Jay M. Pilzer
PUBLISHER:  American History Press
GENRE:   non-fiction, entertainment

Note: Below is text I was going to use for the description. But as the already existing text seemed similar I let it ride.
from the publisher:

Drawing on his years of experience as a history professor and longtime guitar dealer, author Jay Pilzer leads us on an entertaining and thoughtful journey through the fascinating, diverse, and sometimes wild history of the guitar in America. Viewed through the broad scope of the American experience, this retrospective cleverly melds together such unexpected guitar-related subjects as the Tulip Mania of 1636, the swaying hips of hula girls in Hawaii, and what really powered Jimmy Hendrix's Stratocaster at Woodstock.

Our author ponders all aspects of guitar history, including:

- How the period of the Enlightenment was an influence on guitars
- Why the economics of the 1600s were a prelude to guitar prices of the twenty-first century
- The surprising influences on guitar designs and styles
- How the advent of American steamboats and railroads helped guitar sales
- The development of blues and jazz, and the types of instruments used for each style - The affects of installment buying on guitar sales after the Great Depression - How and why guitar quality declined in the 1970s - - Why guitar executives cringed at the sound of disco in the 1980s

These, and many other aspects of guitar history, are covered in this fully-readable and enjoyable book. Whether you play or listen, this romp through the history of guitars will truly entertain!

About the author:
Jay Pilzer is a retired history professor with a Ph.D. from Duke University. He is a long time guitar player and has written articles on guitars and the guitar industry for several guitar-oriented publications. He has also been a guitar dealer for more than twenty years. He lives in Nashville, Tennessee.