[birdky] w. Henderson Co. 9/13

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:41:20 -0500

I hit Horseshoe Road slough, 268 slough, and the Shore Bird Unit this afternoon 9/13. I was looking for Black-bellied or Am. Golden Plovers but no luck this time.

Great Egret: 8 at 268
Mallard, Blue-wing Teal, Green-wing Teal mix at HRs
Marsh Hawk, female, at HRs
Kestrel at 268
Semipalmated plover 3 at HRs
Wilson's Snipe 1 at HRs, 5 at 268
Spotted Sandpiper 1 at 268
Solitary Sandpiper 1 at 268
Greater Yellowlegs 3 at 268
Lesser Yellowlegs 10 at 268
Pectoral Sandpiper 3 at HRs, 5 at 268
Least Sandpiper 3 at HRs, 6 at 268
Horned Lark 25-30 at HRs

Horseshoe Road slough is getting small. It must be down to 1/30th of its spring size. Hopefully the coming cold front will bring some rain to keep it from drying out again.

I checked the Shore Bird Unit. The water is too high for most shorebirds, a lot of it weedy, and the muddy part is where the ground has been disc-up so its not very conducive to shorebirds. A few ducks on the far side. I assume but am not sure that they are pumping water into it.

Charlie
Henderson Co.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY