[birdky] Re: sugar/water ratio for hummers

  • From: Jackie Elmore <jackiebelmore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wrscates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Monroe <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 21:47:21 -0500

Sunday 9/12/2010

I am unconvinced that flowers offer that much more in the way of potential
nutrition than our feeders. Certainly it's much easier for a hummer to come to
a feeder stocked with sugar water (be it 5:1, 4:1, or 3:1) than to feed in a
yard full of flowers. However I think it IS a valid apples to apples, oranges
to oranges comparison,  flowers vs. feeders.  Most flower's nectar is made up
of sucrose (table sugar), glucose and fructose with small amounts of protein
and salts. When given a choice hummers preferred sucrose in one lab test. The
insects that the sweeter flowers attract offer most of the hummer's nutrition
not the flowers' nectar or our feeders. If anything, hummers will come more
often to a feeder with a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio mix than a 3:1 ratio mix (good for
the viewer, maybe not so good for the hummer)  but probably will use more
energy....energy they could use hawking for insects.

My bottom line is to plant many many flowers... hummingbird nectar flowers and
flowers that attract lots of small insects that hummers will eat.

Jackie B. Elmore
near Stanford, KY.
Lincoln Co.