[birdky] re feeding questions bird KY

  • From: lisa.blevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:06:52 -0500

North Lexington--at my feeder, I have the regulars, goldfinches at thistle
feeder (4-8 on there at a time), and at the hanging feeder (mixed
sunflower seeds/safflower) are white throated sparrows, house finches,
song sparrows and doves.  These are in the usual numbers, 3-4 pairs at a
time mostly.

What's unusual are the carolina chickadees, up in number (sometimes 4-6 at
a time) and the cardinal pairs, down from as many as 5 pairs to just one.
And NO woodpeckers of any kind yet, although I did just put out the suet
over the weekend.  No juncos, either.

The cowbirds and grackles showed up for the first time yesterday.  My
philosophy is that like your family, you can't pick your birds.  :)  That
being said, I dread seeing them show up because there's so many of them
and they eat so much that I can't keep food out for the "prettier" birds.
Think this is my last bag of sunflower seeds, I'll go to only safflower
after this, which seems to help keep them away a little.

Still on the lookout for Sandhills, hoping to get lucky and witness a "fly
over".

Lisa Blevins
Lexington KY