[birdky] hummingbird wars

  • From: "lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:03:18 -0500

After long resisting putting up a hummingbird feeder, thinking I saw plenty of
hummingbirds without one, we finally bought a pretty blue glass feeder at Lost
River Cave gift shop. Even though it got some visits, it was poorly designed
and let all the sugar water drip out in about a day's time. This past Sunday we
bought one of those cheap red & yellow plastic ones that work like a baby chick
waterer and  hung it on a shepherd's hook beside the kitchen window. By the
time I got in the house and closed the door a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird
with white in the center of his forehead decided that it was a prime piece of
real estate and began defending it against all comers. Yesterday I decided that
I must have been mistaken about the white forehead spot because the male
sitting in the nearby shrub guarding the feeder had no white in the middle of
his forehead. Today when I got home for lunch I was greeted by 2 battling
hummingbirds. They would face each other a few inches apart, then drag race
straight up in the air to about twice the height of the house, then come back
down and repeat the process. After 3 races one of them perched in the shrub
near the feeder and the other retired to the butterfly bush right beside me. I
noticed that the one near me had white in the middle of his forehead. I guess
he couldn't keep up the payments on his newfound real estate.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County