[birdky] grey-necked wood-rail

  • From: lkmc9@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:04:49 -0400

Now that I have your attention, I thought I would share some of the birds seen
on a western Caribbean cruise taken by my wife, daughter, and me this past
week.
  During a stop in Belize I took a boat trip up the New River to the Mayan
ruins at Lamanai. Along the river some highlights included Snail Kite,
Grey-necked Wood-rail, Limpkin, Northern Jacana, Pale-vented Pigeon, Ringed
Kingfisher, Green Kingfisher, Fork-tailed Flycatcher, Mangrove Swallow, and
White-collared Seedeater. At Lamanai, birding was even better among the
magnificent ruins in the tropical forest. Black-headed Trogon, Slaty-tailed
Trogon, Blue-crowned Motmot, Golden-olive Woodpecker, Linneated Woodpecker,
Olivaceous Woodcreeper, Masked Tityra, Yellow-throated Euphonia, Yellow-winged
Tanager, and several North American warblers were all present. Other highlights
from our too-short day in Belize included Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture,
Roadside Hawk, Groove-billed Ani, and Brown Jay.
   During our Cozumel stop, we visited the Mayan ruins at Tulum and Xel-ha. Not
as much opportunity for birding, but I did manage to see Cinnamon Hummingbird,
Social Flycatcher, Grey-breasted Martin, Cave Swallow, Yucatan Jay, Tropical
Mockingbird, Yellow-green Vireo, Melodius Blackbird, and Black-cowled Oriole.
    Lamanai has a lodge that offers birding packages with an opportunity to see
many of the 375 species found in the area. It is located about one hour from
Belize City.

Lee McNeely
Burlington, Ky

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.