[birdky] gray day at 739 Pond

  • From: Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 06:33:26 -0600

On approaching the big pond, the middle distance held Mallards, Horned Larks,
Meadowlarks and Killdeer. Meant to scan through the ducks again, but they all
gave me the slip while I was getting a closer look at one of the many Savannah
Sparrows that kept running along just ahead of me. Decided to circle the pond
to see if anything was hiding in the tall weeds on the other side. A pair of
Buffleheads flew over as I circled. Don't know if they had been in the weeds or
were just passing over. Many Savannah Sparrows in the weeds. Springs flowed
into both the big and little pond. I could see no open water at the little pond
because it was completely overgrown with about 3 acres of Johnson Grass. It
actually held about an acre of water 4 or 5 inches deep. Didn't see anything
there but Savannah Sparrows. Spitting drizzle as I left.
Frank Lyne
frank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY