[birdky] dizzy counting swallows

  • From: "lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 06:25:30 -0600

Yesterday afternoon several Tree Swallows were repeatedly coursing over the
back field pond. I couldn't decide if I was seeing 7 or 8 swallows and kept
trying to count them real fast before any could return to the start of the
circuit and get double counted. All of a sudden another group of 15 or 20
appeared and joined in the circuit, making the difficult exercise of an exact
count impossible.
  Also, yesterday was the 4th day of the Hooded Mergansers visiting. I tried to
tiptoe down to the pond to erect a duck box. They first disappeared under the
water, then took off. They might have visited  longer if I had stayed clear of
the area but there was zero chance of them staying very long without a nest
site.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County