[birdky] backyard drama

  • From: "Susan Neace" <s.neace@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jacob Neace" <jacob.neace@xxxxxxx>, "Ky Bird" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 16:21:11 -0500

The Brown Thrasher has returned and has been singing non-stop the past few
days.  A flock of Cedar Waxwings discovered berries on the vine covering the
dead maple in the back yard and have been constantly in and out of the tree.
This morning I started out of the screened porch with the old dog on the leash
just as two birds clashed at eye level about 15 feet from me and dropped to the
ground together.  From the noise level I initially thought a couple of Robins
were fighting, however, I had actually witnessed the strike of a medium sized
hawk on one of the Red Winged Blackbirds patronizing the feeder.  My dog and I
coming onto the scene must have cost the hawk his/her consentration, (and
breakfast) and the blackbird shot out of the yard past me as the hawk came up
off the ground.  The hawk flew to a nearby tree, then circled the area for
several minutes.  My guess based on the really quick look I got was
Sharp-Shinned, distinct banding on the underside of the tail, but they were
moving too fast when I saw them to make more than a guess.
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.