[birdky] What hawk?

  • From: ppkdrn@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:18:08 -0500

Last week just as I walked into my office a large bird went swooping past the
tree right outside my window but all I saw of it was a light colored underside.
 This morning I walked in here and sat down at my desk and looked out and not a
bird was in sight at any of the feeders.  At first I thought it was because
they needed filled but then someting on top of my privavy fence caught my eye
and at first I thought it was a new cat prowling.  I picked up my binocs and it
was a hawk but before I could get my camera on it, it flew down and off.

It looked to be about a foot tall sitting on the fence.  Breast and underside
were a light color with sort of thin rufous streaks and the back I think might
have been in the brown colors but not totally sure.  I did not get an eye color
or leg color, it was just gone too fast.  The back also appeared to be streaked
( I think).  I have a lot of trouble with my eyes firstt hing in the morning so
I am not sure about the streaks on the back.  I did think I saw a flash of
gold/yellow around the eyes when it turned it head when it took off.

I will be more vigilant watching for it now since I am pretty sure I have seen
the same bird twice but is there something I should look for first to help with
id?

Thanks,

Paula Geihs
Nelson County