[birdky] West Kentucky 12-13 August 2009

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

12 August
BARKLEY/MINERAL MOUND
Caspian Tern (70)

BARKLEY DAM
FRANKLIN'S GULL (1st cycle below dam)
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL (probably 2nd cycle above dam)

SMITHLAND
Black Tern (4)

FULTON/LAKE 9
Blue-winged Teal (~15)
American White Pelican (~150 both days)

13 August
FULTON
Northern Harrier (Lower bottoms)

Very few shorebirds and waterfowl scattered at pools in the lower bottoms and
few Great Egrets, Snowies, and Little Blues.  Shorebirds present were both
yellowlegs, Solitary, Spotted, Semipalmated Sandpiper including 2 juvs, Least,
Pectoral and Stilt Sandpiper.

ISLAND 1/CARLISLE
Small flock of shorebirds including SemiPlover, Spotted, Least, and Pectoral
Sandpipers.  This was the only group of shorebirds I found on the river between
Fulton and Ballard Counties.

MITCHELL LAKE/BALLARD
Snow Goose (4)

The birding was relatively slow but the nice weather made for a fantastic trip.
 A bobcat crossed the levee in front of me just west of Hickman Wednesday
afternoon which is always great to see.  The Franklin's Gull was feeding below
the dam and a couple of times when it neared the lock wall I was able to
capture it and some high jumping asian carp in the same frame with the camera.
The height that the carp reach is phenomenal.  The best experience of the trip
was early Thursday morning at Reelfoot which I'll attempt to relate.

I began the day of the 13th at Long Point just after sunrise, and as I
approached a woodland pool a juvenile Green Heron flushed from the side of the
road and flew a few feet to a branch low over the water.  As I watched, it
began snapping insects from the air which were too small for me to see.  This
was really interesting as I don't remember seeing a Green Heron do this
before.

I turned off the truck to take a few photos and then just enjoyed the
experience.  The sun's rays were filtering through the cypress and lighting
areas around the quiet pool with nice contrast which created a primeval feel.
There was no human sound, only that of birds and insects including a very close
hooting Barred Owl and a distant Field Sparrow, which for me is up there with
the Wood and Hermit Thrush for favorite bird songs.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I looked up through an opening
in the tops of the cypress to see a bright third quarter moon framed perfectly
against the crisp blue sky.  The serenity was incredible.  I was then struck by
the realization that the exact scenario would never be repeated and I felt
privileged to have been a part of it.  For me, it was a nice reminder of the
magic that comes from living in the moment.

David Roemer
Bowling Green