[birdky] We're sad

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 20:34:31 -0500

On Tuesday evening I found six dead Tree Swallow babies in one of our three
boxes; the one that is separate from the others by about 100 yards. They'd
been brutalized, pinched and pecked to death. They were well feathered and
good sized, probably 10 days out-of-the-egg. I hurried to check the Bluebirds
and the other Swallow box (about 15 feet apart) and was relieved to find both
sets of babies healthy and hungry.
Then, last evening, I went to check the boxes again and found the Bluebird nest
empty, the four babies (hatched last Friday) each pinched and dropped in the
grass. I checked the last box and found the Swallow babies untouched. They
were the oldest and largest, and, I hoped, too big for whatever villain was up
to this. We've had trouble with House Wrens killing baby Bluebirds in a past
life, but only when the Bluebirds were brand new and tiny...and House Wrens
don't nest here. I was thinking it must be House Sparrows, but was puzzled
because we've rarely seen them this spring.
Then, this morning as I left for work, I spotted a male House Sparrow sitting
on top of the Bluebird box.
After work this evening, I watched the boxes while picking blueberries, and
eventually saw a male House Sparrow sitting on the box with the ruined Bluebird
nest. It was singing like it was calling a mate to his newly established
territory. The Swallows were agitated and in the air around the other box. I
won't offer details, but managed to provide the Sparrow with a satisfyingly
abrupt introduction to His Maker. I hurried to the Swallow box and found two
of the three nearly-grown babies dead and the third one injured. I doubt that
it will survive.
I'm astonished with how much carnage the little devil caused! I know that life
in the bird world is brutally tough, but I could better accept this if House
Sparrows were native.
The Bluebirds are still here and at least one Swallow pair is still
around…hopefully they will try again.
Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Sent from my iPod=

================NOTES TO SUBSCRIBERS=============
When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.birdky.org