[birdky] Union & Henderson Co. ramblings...nothing great & NO Rusties

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:53:41 -0600

2/7/2010

Union Co.:

Dam was below flood stage finally, but will rise again soon.
Ohio River deserted. 1 Ring-billed Gull, 2 pairs of Common Goldeneyes.

Location:     Uniontown Dam (John T. Myers Lock & Dam
Observation date:     2/7/10
Number of species:     21

Common Goldeneye 4
Great Blue Heron     1
Red-tailed Hawk     3
American Kestrel     1
Killdeer     2
Ring-billed Gull     1
Rock Pigeon     25
Northern Flicker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     10
Tufted Titmouse     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     3
American Robin     1
European Starling     23
Song Sparrow     3
Swamp Sparrow     2
Northern Cardinal     5
Red-winged Blackbird     3
Common Grackle     2
American Goldfinch     2

I headed over to Highland Creek Unit to look for Rusty Blackbirds...nada.
Prime area was flooded and frozen. So I only stayed 15 minutes.

Location:     Sloughs WMA - Jenny Hole/Highland Creek Unit
Observation date:     2/7/10
Number of species:     11

Red-tailed Hawk     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     17
Carolina Chickadee     1
Tufted Titmouse     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Song Sparrow     2
Common Grackle     5

Henderson Co:

Next off to check out Horseshoe Road slough. Road there was pretty bad, muddy, washboard, potholes. Horseshoe Road slough was FULL. Mostly ice covered. At the far NE end could see some Shovelers landing.

Sloughs WMA (Henderson Co.)

Next Crenshaw Tract. The slough was iced over. Could hear a couple of Blue Jays and one Eastern Towhee.

Anderson Pond, a few areas clear of ice. One adult Bald Eagle in a tree in the middle of Anderson Pond.

Wood Tract: Several thousand Snow Geese, I'm guessing 4000 at the south end. Canadas: maybe 100.

Muddy Slough: 300 Canadas

Hardy Slough: 500 Canadas.

I didn't really see any Speckle-bellies although they might of been there.

Very little flying around of the geese. Just a few Canadas here and there.

Overall not a great day.

Charlie
Henderson Co.