[birdky] Union Co. Henderson Co.

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:41:13 -0600

1/4/10

I arrived at Uniontown Dam at 7:45AM, 9º clear, and walked the weir, left at 8:45AM. A stiff NW wind, 'steam' still rising off the water above and below the dam.
As I hoped a little more activity than on Saturday.

Location:     Uniontown Dam (John T. Myers Lock & Dam) (Union Co.)
Observation date:     1/4/10
Number of species:     19

Canada Goose     26 overhead wandering around, and left going down river
Mallard     15
Pied-billed Grebe     2
Great Blue Heron     1
Bald Eagle     1
Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Ring-billed Gull     1
Rock Pigeon     75
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     2
Northern Flicker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
American Crow     15
Carolina Chickadee     2
Tufted Titmouse     5
White-breasted Nuthatch     3
Brown Creeper     2
European Starling     X
Song Sparrow     1

Passed through Uniontown next where I added Eurasian Collared Dove.

On the way to Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit along Mt. Vernon/ Uniontown Road lots of Horned Larks and LAPLAND LONGSPURS.

Location:     Sloughs WMA - Grassy Pond/Powells Lake (Union Co.)
Observation date:     1/4/10
Number of species:     22

Bald Eagle     2
Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Red-tailed Hawk     2
Ring-billed Gull     7
Red-bellied Woodpecker     3
Downy Woodpecker     2
Blue Jay     3
American Crow     10
Horned Lark     500
Carolina Chickadee     1
Tufted Titmouse     3
White-breasted Nuthatch     2
Eastern Bluebird     7
European Starling     X
American Tree Sparrow     5
Swamp Sparrow     2
White-throated Sparrow     3
Lapland Longspur     100
Northern Cardinal     5
Eastern Meadowlark     2
Common Grackle     X
American Goldfinch     5

I followed the road around near the river to 268. Passed just a few other Horned Larks.

The Sloughs area that is still having water pumped in had Mallards, Widgeons, and a few Yellowlegs. Very difficult to see them. They were at the far end of the field where the water is not frozen and creating heat waves and 'steam'.

At Wood Tract several thousand Snow Geese high overhead wandering around; I assume looking for open water.
They eventually headed off north.

Next I drove Tram Road, and West Franklin Road: nothing much to report from that area.

Charlie
Henderson Co.