[birdky] Transient ponds near Woodburn, etc.

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 09:48:03 -0500

Debby and I dodged rain drops late yesterday morning for a look at the
pond.really more of a lake, on the east side of Rt 884, NE of Woodburn, in
Warren Co.. We got an interesting video of an artesian upwelling, at the
south end, that is doing its best to keep the lake there for a while!
Really fascinating.birds, yes, birds: There were a smattering of Horned and
Pied-billed Grebes, hundreds of American Coots, several dozen Northern
Shovelers, several dozen Blue-winged Teal and scores of Buffleheads and
Ruddy Ducks. We identified a few Lesser Scaup, here and there, but there
were scattered rafts of ducks in the distance (it was hazy, poor light) that
included some unidentifiable scaup and heaven knows what else. We also saw
a few Barn Swallows and Killdeer, a Harrier, and at least two Red-tailed
Hawks.

Last evening I got a good look at our FOS Yellow-throated Warbler, here at
the house. Then, this morning, I had a Northern Rough-winged and Tree
Swallow sitting on the phone wire, no more than 3 feet apart and nearly
overhead as though posing for comparison. The Rough-Winged was our FOS
here.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY