[birdky] Thanks for the blackbird input

  • From: Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 10:12:12 -0600

Thanks to all who commented on my blackbird post. Consensus is that it is a
Rusty. I had considered Brewer's a possibility because Sibley shows some brown
highlights in a non breeding male Brewer's and much more rusty than my bird
shows in a non-breeding male Rusty. But Sibley also says that Brewer's should
be in breeding plumage by January, while Rusty might be in non-breeding plumage
as late as March.
        I also posted images on facebook bird ID group of the world. Same
consensus there. Here was the most informative comment I got on my images from
Cathy Sheeter -  "have many Brewers outside my window daily and this time of
year the males are in breeding plumage. I have never seen one show any signs of
brownish tinge this time of year (other than a female of course, which this
bird is not). The blueness of them is visible in overcast. The structure of
this bird and the habitat also looks better for Rusty to me."
Frank Lyne
frank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY