[birdky] Terns dropping from the sky

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:04:41 EDT

I got out to the lake late this afternoon.  As I watched the islands  off
Pine Bluff Shores in Calloway County, terns started appearing in flocks of
15-40
birds.  Some came to rest, some moved north up the lake.  I have  never seen
such a tern fallout before.  The mix was primarily Caspian,  Forster's and
Common Terns.  The light was not good and there were a few  terns sitting on
the
exposed islands that I could not determine species.
Makes one wonder if there is something special mixed in with all those
terns!  No shorebirds were seen.  The lake has risen and the mud flats  are
covered.
Hap
Murray, KY