[birdky] Re: Talented Mockingbird

  • From: Stephen Tyson <kytysons9152@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 19:21:18 -0500

… I still think my Mockingbird is pretty talented… just sayin’ :-)
Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co.

On Apr 25, 2023, at 12:13 PM, brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Posters this morning are touching on a missing link that I also failed to directly point out, which is a source of my frustration with Cornell. Make no mistake, I also marvel at what Merlin can do . . . *sometimes* or *most of the time.* However, Cornell, *not* regional reviewers and most of us as mentoring birders should be making it very clear to those beginners using Merlin for bird ID that eBird is a "citizen *science*" project that is to be treated with the utmost respect for factual content. But it seems at least to some of us that Cornell cuts a corner by not wanting to be or appear excluding in some way to beginning or casual birders. They leave the dirty work of offending some to the *volunteer* regional reviewers. To me the opening of Pandora's box to flawed human nature (people not following clearly stated protocols) was inevitable and they should have come up with a manner of assuring that incoming data are more reliable (perhaps thru a "test" of some sort to allow a login; I don't know exactly what, but something . . .

bpb, Louisville