[birdky] Re: Swainson's Warblers at Red River Gorge?

  • From: "Weese, Zeb (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Zeb.Weese@xxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:15:08 -0400

I've had pretty good luck with them on the Whittleton Trail.  Just park
at the Whittleton Campground at Natural Bridge and hike towards
Whittleton Arch.  We caught two Swainson's last week at the park's MAPS
station.

Zeb Weese
Regional Nature Preserves Manager for Central and Eastern Kentucky
Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission
801 Schenkel Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 573-2886, extension 118
Fax: (502) 573-2355
E-mail: zeb.weese@xxxxxx
Web site: http://naturepreserves.ky.gov/

Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 2:20 AM
To: birdky digest users
Subject: birdky Digest V7 #156

birdky Digest   Thu, 12 Jun 2008        Volume: 07  Issue: 156

In This Issue:
                [birdky] Blue Grosbeak nest
                [birdky] DC Cormorants Nesting
                [birdky] Swainson's Warblers at Red River Gorge?
                [birdky] Western Kingbird
                [birdky] great crested flycatcher
                [birdky] Re: Blue Grosbeak nest
                [birdky] Mammoth Cave BBS routes

From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] Blue Grosbeak nest
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:14:48 -0500

A  pair of Blue Grosbeaks has a nest in a lilac bush in our yard. Much
dryer lint is woven into the nest. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 eggs in it
are Cowbird eggs.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:01:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ed Ray <edrayosprey@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] DC Cormorants Nesting

DC Cormorants are nesting on the first island south of Little River,
Lake Barkley-west side of the channel.&nbsp; Question may be are there
any large islands on Barkley and KY Lakes where DCC&nbsp;are not nesting
this year?&nbsp; I could see 4 nests but from the sounds there are
probably at least twice this number of nests on the island within a few
trees of each other.&nbsp; I had not been near nesting cormornants
before-the young birds are very vocal and make a&nbsp;neat totally
different sound than&nbsp; the adults.&nbsp;An osprey tree nest is
surprisingly&nbsp;close to the nesting cormorants. Ed Ray, Lake
Barkley-Trigg Co.
http://mail.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:45:15 -0400
From: Debra Hausrath <redstart@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] Swainson's Warblers at Red River Gorge?

A group of us from the northern Kentucky area are planning on trekking
down to the Gorge in a week or so to search for Swainson's Warblers in
particular.  Has anyone been seeing (or more likely, hearing them) this
spring?  And if so, what trails were they on?

Many thanks for the tips!
Debra Hausrath

------------------------------

From: "Eddie and Jennifer Huber" <edandjenhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] Western Kingbird
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:15:28 -0400

    For those that want to see the western kingbird at Melco in
Jefferson County I am planning the final trip this Saturday at 8:30am.
Eddie Huber -cell 724-1924

------------------------------

From: "Mike Tobbe" <mtobbe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] great crested flycatcher
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:23:12 -0500

Just now a great crested flycatcher took a dirt bath in the garden.  In
18
years, this is only the 2nd time I've seen one on the farm.

Mike Tobbe

Little Mount

Spencer County

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended
recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary to Ahold
and/or
its subsidiaries ("Ahold") or otherwise confidential or legally
privileged.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by
reply, and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.  If
you
are the intended recipient you may use the information contained in this
message and any files attached to this message only as authorized by
Ahold.
Files attached to this message may only be transmitted using secure
systems
and appropriate means of encryption, and must be secured using the same
level of password and security protection with which the file was
provided
to you.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination or disclosure of this
message
or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

------------------------------

From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] Re: Blue Grosbeak nest
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:59:42 -0500

Four different people suggested that I remove the 2 Cowbird eggs from my
backyard Blue Grosbeak nest. I did and found that they were apparently
laid by 2 different Cowbirds, since they were each slightly different in
shape and speckled pattern.

From: "Kistlers" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] Mammoth Cave BBS routes
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:00:36 -0500

We've completed two breeding bird surveys within Mammoth Cave Park. The
cicadas are overwhelming...I'll be marking "excess noise" at every stop!
Bird numbers are normal or better, but the number we've recorded will be
considerably less than usual.
It's always great to be out in the woods at dawn, though.
Steve Kistler
Hart Co